Apple has introduced Logic Pro X, an update to their popular DAW that features a new user interface, powerful new creative tools for musicians and an expanded collection of instruments and effects.
- Logic Pro X includes Drummer, a virtual session player that automatically plays along with your song in a wide variety of drumming styles and techniques
- Flex Pitch provides integrated pitch editing for audio recordings. This is way beyond AutoTune – Flex Pitch analyzes your audio and then lets do Melodyne-style audio editing. You can move the pitch of individual notes up or down, for pitch correction, or use it as a creative tool.
- Logic Remote lets you play and control Logic Pro X from an iPad, letting you create and mix music from anywhere in the room. (Screen shots below).
- Retro Synth is a new virtual instrument that emulates some of the most popular classic synthesizers from the 70s and 80s.
- Vintage Keyboards offer realistic models of electric pianos, B3 organs and clavs.
- Track Stacks lets you organize and collapse multiple tracks into one. It can also be used to create complex layered instruments.
- Smart Controls allow you to manipulate multiple plug-ins and parameters with a single move for quick and powerful sound design.
- An improved Mixer helps manage mix sessions more efficiently, with increased visibility into signal flow and dynamics and faster ways to manipulate channel inserts.
While Apple has added many new features, virtual instruments and an iPad remote app, it has kept the price at $200.
“Logic Pro X is our most powerful version yet, with advanced tools and a modern new interface designed to streamline the process of creating professional quality music,” said Apple’s Philip Schiller. “Musicians are going to love creative new features like Drummer, Flex Pitch, Track Stacks and the Arpeggiator.”
Here are details….
Logic Pro X
- Drummer delivers professionally produced, realistic drum tracks that can perform millions of unique grooves in rock, alternative, songwriter and R&B genres. Drummer is powered by the performances and sounds of some of the industry’s top session players and recording engineers, including mixer/producer Bob Clearmountain.
- The new Drum Kit Designer plug-in lets you build your own custom kit using a diverse collection of professionally recorded snare drums, toms, hi-hats and cymbals that you can mix, match and fine tune to get the right drum sound for your song.
Logic Pro X also updates Logic Pro’s rich collection of synthesizers and keyboards with more new instruments:
- The Arpeggiator is one of nine new MIDI plug-ins. It can transform a simple keyboard chord into an elaborate sequence.
- The new Retro Synth emulates some of the most popular classic synthesizer tones from the 70s and 80s.
- Vintage Keyboards offer realistic models of electric pianos, B3 organs and clavs, with sophisticated tone-shaping controls.
- Bass Amp Designer allows bass players to play and record using vintage and modern bass amps, with cabinets and microphones that can be configured to build a custom bass rig.
- Logic Pro X also features a new Sound Library with an updated loop collection and over 1,500 instruments. It also includes effect Patches that make creative use of Track Stacks, Smart Controls, the Arpeggiator and other new plug-ins.
Logic Remote is a new way to extend the creative power of Logic by using your iPad. Designed to take full advantage of the iPad Multi-Touch display, Logic Remote gives users new ways to record, mix and even perform instruments in Logic Pro X from anywhere in the room.
Here are examples of the types of things you can do with Logic Remote:
Play Logic Instruments:
- Play any Logic instrument using a familiar piano keyboard or guitar fretboard
- Tap out beats on drum pads or a drum kit
- Use the scale mode to limit notes to fit the key of your song
- Tap and strum entire chords using Chord Strip view
- Make simple or dramatic changes to your sounds with Smart Controls
- Add the Arpeggiator plug-in to any instrument
Navigate Logic Projects
- Operate basic transport controls like start, stop, record, and cycle
- Swipe the LCD or bar ruler to navigate to any location
- Select and jump to any Logic project marker
- Control recordings on your Mac from another room
- Browse the Sound Library and remotely change Patches
- Enable Smart Help and hover over interface elements on your Mac to display documentation on your iPad
- Remotely trigger Logic key commands with customizable buttons
Mix Logic Sessions
- Use Multi-Touch gestures to adjust Mixer volume, pan, solo, and mute controls
- Swipe to scroll or jump in banks to navigate through Mixer faders
- Use the level meter strip to monitor levels and identify clipping
- Enable and change automation modes for each fader
MainStage 3, a major update to MainStage, is the live performance companion app for Logic Pro X, turning the Mac into a live rig. MainStage 3 features a new user interface and maintains compatibility with the new Logic Pro X plug-ins, Patches and Smart Controls.
Pricing & Availability
- Logic Pro X is available today from the Mac App Store for $199.99 (US).
- MainStage 3 is available from the Mac App Store for $29.99 (US).
- Logic Remote is available today as a free download from the App Store.
If you’ve used the new Logic Pro X, Logic Remote or Mainstage 3, leave a comment and let us know what you think!