At Musikmesse 2015, Modal Electronics has introduced the Modal 008, an 8-voice, 16-VCO and 16-sub-oscillator analog monster synth, scheduled to be released Summer 2015.
The Modal 008 offers 100% analog VCOs, 16 multi-mode filters, two LFOs, fast envelopes, extensive modulation options and more.
- 008 provides eight discrete voices of analog polyphony
- Two 100% analogue VCO’s per voice with two sub oscillators, providing sawtooth, triangle, square with PWM and noise. Each of the waveforms can be blended together to provide completely new complex wave shapes
- Flexible 16 multi-mode filter, consisting of traditional modes such as low-pass, band-pass and high-pass as well as more unusual notch, phase and combination modes.
- Filter overdrive enables the sound to be driven to sonic extremes
- A range of classic analogue polysynth features such as oscillator and filter FM bringing amazing sonic power
- Two LFO’s, both capable of reaching audio rates with multiple wave shapes and midi sync
- 11 modulation sources with unlimited destinations. Each destination can be set it’s own unique depth, a super smooth sample rate of 10kHz and all accessible from the front panel – no menu diving
- 008 features a range of sequencing options – a built in 2 Track, 12 row, 32 step sequencer with 16 dedicated step time editing knobs on the front panel and MIDI sync capabilities. Sequences can also be transposed dynamically while running
- Arpeggiator with a wide range of different modes, including ‘hold’ mode, enabling arpeggiator-based sequences to be created
- The Modal Electronics Animator, which enables any control parameter on the 008 to be sequenced, enabling very complex filter transisitions, wave form changes and modulation matrix changes to be sequenced
- Ethernet port to connect your 008 to your network and enable updates via the internet (no more midi sysex dumps) and access to the Modal Electronics cloud features
- Two part multi-timbral (bi timbral) allowing splits across the keyboard or stacks to create amazingly complex sounds
- Superb UI, a great departure from the norm of synthesisers, featuring a very high quality 4.3″ screen with wide viewing angle, display is context sensitive where the control parameters of any control knob that is touched by the user, is immediately displayed
- Eight ‘quick recall banks’ are accessible directly from the front panel, enabling performing musicians to get rid of their set sheets and build set lists of presets, sequences and animations, all quickly accessible from dedicated front panel buttons. Up to ten banks of quick recalls can be created, making live performance a doddle
- Ultra fast (1ms) VCF and VCA envelope generators. VCF-EG is one of the 11 modulation sources that can be freely assigned to any parameter by it’s own unique amount
- Four Key Modes – Polyphonic, Monophonic, Unison and Stack
- Very high quality construction, uses a premium FATAR semi-weighted five octave key mechanism with aftertouch
- All voice control parameters are accessible from a well designed and intuitive front panel, that follows a traditional synthesiser work flow
- Combined XLR/TRS sockets for balanced / unbalanced outputs. Further, each of the eight outputs can be brought out individually via a dedicated d-sub socket.
- Optional Digital Output board providing multi voice outputs over USB (Class Compliant) with FX available Q2 2015.
- Two audio inputs enabling audio processing from the VCF onwards plus external MIDI in and out
- XY joystick and Sustain and Expression pedal inputs for performance controls – any control parameter can be assigned to any joystick axis (X+, X-, Y+, Y-) by pressing the dedicated front panel selector button
Pricing and Availability:
Modal Electronics’ 008 is expected to begin shipping Summer 2015 at a suggested retail price of $5495 US. For more information, product specs, and dealer locations, check out the Modal Electronics website.