The Reface keyboard line was inspired by the form factor of the Yamaha CS-01, a mini synth that featured a built-in speaker. The new keyboards use a similar form factor, but have sound engines designed to recall four different Yamaha keyboard lines.
The Reface CS synth engine recalls Yamaha’s classic CS-series ‘Control Synthesizers’.
Key features of all the keyboards in the Reface line include:
- built-in speakers
- 37 keys with HQ-Mini action, derived from Yamaha’s flagship Motif XF
- battery-powered portability
- USB & MIDI connectivity
- Yamaha Reface Capture – an iOS patch librarian app
- SoundMondo – a web MIDI patch librarian and social patch sharing site
Yamaha Reface CS Features:
- Synth engine inspired by classic CS-series Control Synthesizers, introduced in 1976 and played by Vangelis, Stevie Wonder and Michael Jackson among others.
- 8-note polyphony,
- reface CS offers five flexible oscillator modules to create a wide variety of complex sounds, from analog to digital.
Here’s a video overview of the Yamaha Reface CS, via sonicstate:
The Yamaha Reface CS is expected to ship in September 2015, with a street price around US $500. See the YamahaSynth site for more info.