Advanced MIDI controller creator ROLI today announced the new Seaboard RISE, their most affordable expressive MIDI keyboard controller yet.
Like the Seaboard GRAND, the Seaboard RISE reimagines the keyboard as a pressure-sensitive, continuous surface that responds to even the subtlest gestures. This lets you change the sound of each note in three dimensions, with left/right, up/down, and in/out movements of your finger.
ROLI says that the Seaboard RISE, though, marks a turning point in bringing Expressive MIDI products to a broader consumer market:
- It is the first Expressive MIDI device to offer an easy-to-use multi-platform synth;
- The first with an integrated user control panel; and
- The first to perform wirelessly with an integrated battery and Bluetooth over MIDI.
The Seaboard RISE is also the first Expressive MIDI keyboard to be available for less than $1000, with a retail price $799 (£599).
Here is the official intro video:
“Finally, musicians have at their fingertips an affordable and accessible tool that lets them create authentic instrumental simulations, in real time,” says ROLI CEO and inventor Roland Lamb. “Combined with its strengths in creating fresh new sound interactions, the Seaboard RISE is truly a breakthrough for both musical performance and production.”
The Seaboard RISE is the latest example in the fast-growing category of Multidimensional Polyphonic Expression controllers. These controllers – including instruments like the Linnstrument and the Haken Continuum – focus on delivering acoustic-level electronic expression, by enabling each individual note to be modulated in multiple ways in real time.
The Seaboard RISE comes bundled with Equator, ROLI’s custom-built software synthesizer designed for Expressive MIDI instruments.
In Equator, the Seaboard RISE’s five primary dimensions of touch and gestural control – strike, press, glide, slide, and lift – are mapped to a wide variety of sound parameters. Sliders on the left-hand control panel regulate the extent to which these parameters of gestural modulation are utilized, allowing the Seaboard RISE to behave like anything from a conventional keyboard controller – in easy-to-use “piano mode” – to a completely open-ended interactive surface.
Seaboard RISE 25 Features
- Seamless hardware-software integration
- Beautifully crafted using premium materials
- Sleek, intuitive design accessible to music-makers of all technical levels
- Completely wireless with MIDI over Bluetooth
- Bundled with Equator, the world’s first purpose-built, multi-dimensional software synthesiser
Seaboard RISE 25 Technical specifications
- 25 Keywaves
- 505 mm x 210 mm x 22.9 mm / 2.8 kg (19.88 in x 8.27 in x 0.9 in / 6.17 lbs)
- Continuous pedal input (1/4″ jack)
- USB B port (MIDI out and power)
- USB A port (for charging peripherals)
- 18 W
- Internal battery with 12-hour playability
- Full MIDI compatibility over USB and Bluetooth
- OS X 10.8+ / Windows 7+ / iOS 7+
- Intel Core i5 2.5GHz or faster recommended
- 4 GB RAM minimum / 8 GB RAM recommended
- 2 GB available disk space for Equator installation
- USB 2.0+ port for USB compatibility
The Seaboard RISE is now available for preorder at the ROLI site and at select music stores. It will ship and be available in store at retail outlets, throughout the world, from October.