Novation has announced the release of Circuit Components, a suite of free tools that expand the functionality of their Circuit groovebox.
Circuit Components makes Circuit way more powerful, adding sample import, a patch editor, cloud-based backup and more.
Using a Web MIDI interface (which runs on Google Chrome or Opera, directly from the Novation website), you can drag-and-drop MP3 or WAV samples onto Circuit to create your own palette of sounds.
Also, in collaboration with Isotonik Studios, Circuit Components includes Circuit Editor, a standalone and Max4Live-compatible control application for Mac and PC that lets you tweak any of the parameters of Circuit’s two polyphonic synth engines, and then save the patches to Circuit.
Along with access to all synth parameters on the fly, you can use the editor to customize Circuit’s eight macro control knobs, patch by patch.
Unlike the recent public beta, the user no longer must use Live Suite and a Mac. Circuit Editor’s official public release now runs standalone too, on PC or Mac. Circuit Editor also allows the user to save patches to their computer.
Lastly, there’s Librarian, which also runs through the Web MIDI interface from the Novation website. This feature lets you back up all of Circuit’s 32 sessions to the cloud, recall sessions from any location, and share creations with others.
Updating The Novation Circuit
To use these Circuit Components, you’ll need the latest firmware: Circuit v1.2 unlocks compatibility, along with the usual bug fixes, new features; some user requests, and a few of our own ideas.
- Play with Other Controllers
- Record MIDI notes from external instruments plugged into Circuit: either chromatically, or tuned depending on your choice of key and scale.
- Manipulate Circuit’s macro controls from an external MIDI controller and record as automation. You can even use your iPad.
- Play with Ableton
- Automatically sync Circuit up with Live and easily record MIDI from your session – in tempo, in time, in key – with just a few clicks. You can even record your MIDI tracks from Ableton in one key and change it later in two button presses onboard Circuit.
- Momentary Record
- Hold record, punch in and overdub notes or macros without losing your flow – or accidentally breaking your existing work.
- Step Edit
- Even easier step-by-step automation: have a different pitch on your drums for each hit. Add FX to one note in a sequence. With the potential for a different sound on every step for every track, you don’t need to do the maths to know that adds up to unimaginable potential – for deliberate creativity or happy accidents.
- External Preset Select
- Remotely switch the sound of either of Circuit’s two synths on the fly using MIDI program change messages. Remotely switch the sound of any of Circuit’s four drums on the fly using MIDI CC messages. From any MIDI source.
For details, see the Novation site.