Moog Music today introduced Model 15 for iOS – a software recreation of one of its classic 70’s hardware modular synthesizers.
The Moog Model 15 hardware modular synthesizer was originally released in 1973, and was re-released last year as a $10,000 limited edition reissue, right. The system offers a complete analog synth voice.
Moog Music says that the Model 15 iOS app is designed to meticulously recreate the ‘power and transcendent sound quality’ of each module of the original modules, including the Moog 921–series oscillators, 904A Low Pass Filter and the 907 Fixed Filter Bank.
While no app can recreate the experience of working with a hardware modular, the Model 15 app extends the original’s design in musically interesting ways – adding support for polyphony and even Multidimensional Polyphonic Expression (MPE) – a new standard for expressive synthesis control. And Bluetooth LE support means that you can connect advanced keyboard controllers, like the ROLI Rise, for wireless MPE control.
Here’s the official intro video, featuring synthesist Suzanne Ciani:
Ciani designed one of the preset packs, and she wrote one of the demo songs, embedded below:
Extending The Model 15 Design Into The Future
The Model 15 App features both monophonic and 4-voice polyphonic operation, via four touchscreen control interfaces, including:
- a traditional Moog keyboard;
- 1150 ribbon controller;
- 8-step sequencing arpeggiator; and
- the Animoog keyboard, with 22 built-in scales and polyphonic modulation capabilities.
Other extended features include complete MIDI integration, assignment for external control, MIDI controller capabilities, dedicated Audio Bridge and MIDI Bridge modules, looping recorder module with overdubbing, a master ping-pong delay module and a new extension cabinet that includes additional amplifiers and voltage-controlled reversible attenuators that can be used for effects like ring-modulation.
- Ships with over 160 unique presets
- Recreates the sound of a hardware Moog Model 15 modular synthesizer
- Easily share presets and recordings with anyone
- Tutorial patches to assist all experience levels
- Intuitive patching and cable coloring
- Support for landscape and portrait modes
- Voltage-controlled stereo ping-pong delay
- Expressive sequencing arpeggiator
- Moog 1150 Ribbon controller
- Real-time looping recorder with overdub and immediate sharing
- Up to two controllers on-screen (iPad only)
- Optional left-handed UI operation
- 3D Touch and Apple Pencil integration for after pressure
- Note-per-channel MIDI controllers
- Ableton Link
- Inter-App Audio and Audiobus
- MIDI Bridge and Audio Bridge
- 7 and 14-Bit MIDI
- MIDI Program Change
- Bluetooth LE MIDI controllers
- Typing keyboards for shortcuts and musical typing
- AudioCopy, AudioPaste and AudioShare
Note: The Model 15 App has been coded using Apple’s new Metal graphics engine. This ensures that zooming, panning and modular patching throughout the application feels immediate and responsive.
Because the Model 15 App utilizes Apple’s Metal technology, only 64-bit devices are supported. Compatible devices include iPhone 5s or newer, iPod touch 6 or newer, iPad Air or newer, and the iPad Pro.
Pricing and Availability. The Moog Model 15 Synthesizer app is available now for US $29.99 in the App Store.