Behringer today followed up their announcement last week that they are building a Minimoog clone with a preview of their planned Behringer D Eurorack synth module.
The module would be a Minimoog-inspired analog synthesizer in Eurorck format, featuring 3 VCOs, a 24 dB Ladder Filter and LFO, plus some updates, like USB and MIDI connectivity. Also planned as part of the Euro Minimoog Model D clone is a Poly Chain feature that allows combining up to 16 synths through MIDI.
The renderings of the proposed Behringer D show very limited CV support, primarily offering CV/Gate control and audio input.
Behringer’s target price for the Minimoog Eurorack clone is $400. The company is testing the waters with mockups at this point, to “decide if we move further and build a first prototype.”
The design concept looks interest, but also raises a lot of questions. Does MIDI Polychain make sense on a synth with no patch memory? Does this mean that the controls are all digital encoders or will users be expected to configure the same patch on each synth in the chain? And, even at $400/voice, how many people will want to build an expensive polyphonic synth when cheaper polyphonic analogs are already available?
Check out the renderings and the specs below – and let us know what you think in the comments!
Behringer D Minimoog Clone Features (Preliminary):
- Analog synthesizer with triple VCO design
- Reproduction of original “D Type” with matched transistors and JFET
- 0.1% Thin Film resistors and Polyphenyline Sulphide capacitors for frequency stability
- Analog signal path based on authentic VCO, VCF and VCA designs
- 5 variable oscillator shapes with pulse width variation
- Classic 24 dB ladder filter with resonance
- Fully analog triangle/square wave LFO
- Switchable low/high pass filter mode
- 16-voice Midi Poly Chain allows combining multiple synthesizers for up to 16-voice polyphony
- Overdrive circuit
- Noise generator
- Complete Eurorack solution – main module can be transferred to a standard Eurorack case
- 46 controls for real-time access of all important parameters
- External audio input for processing external sound sources
- Low and high level outputs
- Comprehensive MIDI implementation with MIDI channel and Voice Priority selection
- 3-Year Warranty Program
Pricing and Availability
The Behringer D is just a design concept at this stage, so availability details are to come. Behringer is targeting US $400 for the price.
via Uli Behringer