The Synthstrom Deluge – a new stand-alone portable synthesizer, sequencer and sampler- is now shipping.
The Deluge lets you do grid-style sequencing, using 128 RGB pads; play samples from SD card (up to 32GB); create new sounds with an internal synth engine (FM & subtractive synthesis); control other gear, via MIDI & CV/Gate outputs; and work anywhere you like, since it has a built-in battery, mic and speaker.
This video, via loopop (Ziv Eliraz), offers an overview and review of the Deluge, along with his take on what makes it unique:
- Piano-roll-style sequencing on 128 full RGB pads (16×8) with scrolling and zooming.
- Full-featured Internal synthesizer engine (subtractive and FM).
- Plays samples from SD card (up to 32GB SDHC).
- Sequencing limited only by device RAM (many thousands of notes).
- Polyphony limited only by CPU. Typically around 48 synth voices or 64 unaffected sample voices may play.
- 64MB of sample ram – work with up to 12 minutes (if mono) of CD-quality samples per song.
- Live adjustment of synth and effect parameters with two endless-turn encoders with LED level-meters.
- Easy buttons to select the functions these control. Parameter automation recording.
- Advanced syncing capabilities. Weird time signatures supported. Adjustable swing.
- Dedicated volume and tempo knobs.
- LFOs and envelopes on each synth / sample. Highly customizable patching matrix.
- Synthesizer engine features LPF / HPF, arpeggiator, portamento, oscillator sync, ring modulation, unison detune, and more. Four basic waveforms, or select any WAV file from the SD card.
- FX including delay, reverb, chorus, flanger, phaser, bitcrushing, sidechain effect, live stutter, and more.
- Time-stretching of samples
- Keyboard mode, where the pads become a live instrument on a 2D grid.
- Preset or custom scales, or chromatic mode.
- Internal speaker, rechargeable Li-ion battery (6+ hours of operation), and microphone.
- 3.5mm mic and ¼” line inputs.
- Two ¼” line outputs, and 3.5mm headphone output.
- 2x CV outputs. 0 – 10V, individually configurable to 1, 1.2, 0.26 or 0.32 volts per octave, or to hertz per volt.
- 4x gate / trigger outputs individually configurable to v-trig or s-trig, with shared voltage switchable between 5V and 12V. Trigger clock output configurable, up to 192 PPQN.
- Trigger clock input, also with adjustable PPQN.
- MIDI input and output via hardware connectors or USB. Syncing via MIDI beat clock as master or slave.
- Simultaneously output separate sequences to all 16 MIDI channels, 2 CV / gate channels and 2 additional gate outputs, in addition to internal synthesizers / samples (limited only by CPU and RAM, as above).
- Powered via USB or 9 – 12V centre-negative (pedal-style) power supply (500mA) (not included).
- User-upgradeable firmware – expect updates from Synthstrom Audible.
- Dimensions: 305mm x 208mm x 46mm (12 x 8.2 x 1.8 inches).
- Weight: 1.5kg
Pricing and Availability
Synthstrom is currently shipping pre-ordered Deluges. They have not announced pricing and availability yet for the next batch, but you can sign up for their mailing list at the site to get updates.