Roland today introduced the Boutique SE-02, a new analog synthesizer, designed in collaboration with Studio Electronics, creators of the revered MidiMini, SE-1, ATC-1, Omega 8, Boomstar, and Tonestar synthesizers.
The SE-02 is the first product of a planned Roland Boutique Designer Series. The SE-02 uses discrete analog circuitry to create a synthesizer with a vintage sound & vast programming options. It features lots of knobs and switches for immediate control, plus an onboard sequencer.
Here’s the official video intro:
The Roland Boutique SE-02
The SE-02’s monophonic synthesizer engine features three voltage-controlled oscillators, a voltage-controlled 24 dB low-pass filter, and a dual gain-stage amplifier. The oscillators have six different kinds of waveforms with the complex character associated with true analog VCOs. The VCOs are temperature stabilized with automatic tuning, so Roland says ‘you get all the benefits (of analog) and none of the downsides’.
The SE-02 has three types of cross modulation (XMOD), a filter feedback loop, a tempo-syncing LFO with nine waveforms, envelope sweeping and inverting, oscillator sync, a noise generator, and a tempo-syncing delay.
The knobs, switches, and buttons are sturdy and plentiful, giving you a vast palette of sound-shaping capabilities at your fingertips. Everything is hands-on and knob-per-function, with deep control and a logical, intuitive layout. To get started, you can choose from 384 preset sounds that cover a wide range of classic and modern tones. You can store your own custom creations in the 128 available user locations.
- Discrete analog circuitry with knob-per-function interface
- Three voltage controlled oscillators with six waveforms
- Temperature-stabilized oscillators with automatic tuning
- 24 dB low-pass filter and dual gain-stage amplifier
- Three types of cross modulation (XMOD), feedback loop, and noise generator
- Tempo-syncing LFO with nine waveforms
- Tempo-syncing digital delay with bypass to maintain analog signal path
- Save and recall sounds with 384 preset and 128 user locations
- Musical and intuitive pattern sequencer with song mode
- Sequence notes, gate time, glide, and synth parameters
- CV, VCF CV and gate inputs, plus trigger in/out
- External Input for routing audio through the SE-02’s filter section
- Standard MIDI, USB-MIDI, and USB-Audio
- Create a polyphonic synth by using Chain Mode to connect two or more SE-02s together via MIDI
Roland Boutique SE-02 Audio Demos:
Studio Electronics SE-02 Audio Demos:
Pricing and Availability
The Roland SE-02 analog synthesizers is officially ‘coming soon’, but some retailers already have it available to pre-order. It has a street price of US $499.99. See the Roland site for more information.