At Knobcon 2017, Yamaha introduced Montage OS v1.6, the latest update to their flagship keyboard synthesizer.
We talked with Yamaha Product specialist Blake Angelos, who gave us a quick overview and demo of the updates. Montage OS v1.6 features Sound, Control and Workflow improvements and is available now.
We’ve included Yamaha’s official intro video below, which feature high-quality audio examples of the new features.
Key features in Montage OS 1.6 include:
- Spiralizer Effect Types: The new Spiralizer effects added to OS v1.6 are based on the “Shepard Tone” scale. Named after cognitive scientist Roger Shepard, the Shepard Tone effect creates the auditory illusion of a tone that continually rises or falls in pitch but never seems to get any higher or lower. This effect provides interesting motion to pads, leads and arpeggios.
- 8 New Performances: MONTAGE OS v1.6 adds 8 new Performances utilizing the new Spiralizer effect types. These unique Performances take full advantage of AWM2, FM-X and Motion Control. Check out a demo:
- MONTAGE OS v1.6: Control Enhancements
- Super Knob Shortcuts: MONTAGE OS v1.6 makes it easier to edit Super Knob settings from the main Performance (Home) screen.
- “Edit Super Knob Motion Seq” calls up the Knob Auto display for editing the Super Knob’s dedicated Motion Sequencer.
- “Edit Super Knob” calls up the Control Assign display in Common/Audio Edit. This lets you set Super Knob controlled for the entire Performance
- MONTAGE OS v1.6: Workflow Enhancements
- Super Knob Display Filter: A simple but important workflow enhancement is the addition of the Super Knob in the Display Filter.
- Display Filter, Common/Audio Edit: You can now set the Display Filter to “Super Knob” at the Common/Audio level. This allows you to see and edit parameters set to all Part Common Assignable Knobs
- Display Filter, Part Edit: You can now set the Display Filter to “Super Knob” at the Part level. This allows you to see and edit parameters set to single Part Assignable Knobs.
The update is free and available via the Yamaha Synth site.