Finegear founder Cristian Kreindler has introduced Mixerblocks, a new modular DIY analog mixing console that is designed so that it can grow and evolve, by adding channel strips and other ‘blocks’ to meed your needs.
The Mixerblocks series is a modular and expandable analog audio mixing console. A variable number of channel strips can be connected to a main I/O docking-block. Each channel-block can also have one or more extra-blocks connected to it, adding supplementary effect sends, returns or submix groups to the configuration.
Mixerblocks is also open hardware, licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License, so you can mod the design, build on the design, built compatible blocks and more.
Mixerblocks is designed to be a DIY project, and can be built with a choice of enclosures: MDF (as shown abover) or sheet metal. Most of the parts are SMD and already soldered on the PCBs, so all that’s left to assemble are the controls and a few through-hole parts, making it an easy DIY build.
A basic input channel is available for now, while other types of channels, such as tube preamps and passive equalizers, are planned. Inside each channel, the preamp and EQ boards are separate, allowing for various groupings. The current input channel is also designed to be compatible with the DiYRE Colour format.
- With Mixerblocks, you can add channels to your console as needed, and tailor your mixer to meet your needs. Similarly, you can add new FX send/return buses for extra effects. You can also add submix buses to help better group your instruments.
- Mixerblocks allows routing the channel signals to effects and/or to any submix buses. The result can be then flexibly routed to the master outputs (left, right or both), processed through insert effects or connected to other devices through the individual outputs.
- The Mixerblocks concept includes the possibility to design different types of channels with varying features and sonic behaviors – different types of preamps or EQs come to mind. The mixing console can adapt to any particular need, by including a combination of channel types.
Pricing and Availability
- The Basic Channel Block is available now for 90€ (+20€ for the MDF case). Shipping in February 2018.
- The Main Docking Block is available now for 180€ (+30€ for the MDF case). Shipping in February 2018.
- The Extra Blocks series will follow shortly in March 2018.
See the Finegear site for more info.