Future Sound Systems has introduced the Portland modular percussion synthesizer, described as a “sandbox” for percussion and drum synthesis.
The system offers several different analog sound generation and shaping elements in a patchable unit. The elements are normal led together on the patchbay, allowing for minimal patching to arrive at a kit of drum sounds, but this can be overridden for more complex drum sound synthesis.
- Bass Drum semi-linear resonator
- 2x Twin-T resonators
- “Ring” generator, formed from 6 XOR’d oscillators
- Noise generator
- Dynamic hi-hat shaping circuit
- 2x decay envelope generators
- 2x discrete audio VCAs
- Four channel audio mixer with Baxandall tone circuit
- Portland is compatible with modular synthesizers and standalone sequencers.
Note: Portland can be powered from two PP3 9V batteries. The forthcoming FSS Battery Simulator will allow Portland to be powered from DC or Eurorack power supplies. A Eurorack panel for Portland will be available soon.
Pricing and Availability
Limited quantities of assembled units are available to purchase for £330.00 (incl. 20% VAT) + shipping from FSS. Full kits of the Portland percussion synthesizer will be available from Thonk in May 2019.