Ableton today announced CV Tools, a free add-on for Live 10 Suite that lets you integrate the DAW with your modular synth gear.
CV Tools offers ten tools that allow tight communication between Live and your Modular or other Control Voltage based gear. You can send and receive Pitch, Control, Clock and Trigger CV with this set of creative Max for Live devices.
How to get started:
- Install Ableton Live 10.1 (now available as a beta release).
- Install the CV Tools pack.
- Configure a DC-coupled soundcard, such as:
- Expert Sleepers, eg. ES-3 and ES-8
- Motu Ultralite, 248 or 240
- RME Babyface (Headphone out)
- UAD Apollo Series
Other audio interfaces may work. Make sure that yours is DC-coupled, which means that it’s designed to pass both audio rate AC signals and static or very slow moving DC signals.
CV Tools adds these features to Ableton Live:
- CV Instrument – Allows you to control your modular with MIDI, like a synth. Features flexible modulation and voicing options
- CV Triggers – Send Triggers, Gates, and Pings from inside Live.
- RRG – Create organic rhythms and experiment with modular style beat generation. Sends out MIDI, you can even use it with Drum Racks.
- Clock In – Control Live’s tempo and playing with your modular
- Clock Out – Allows you to sync your modular to Live
- CV LFO – Add more LFOs to your modular system
- CV Shaper – Create flexible modulation shapes
- CV Envelope Follower – Allows you to control your modular with audio signals from inside Live
Pricing and Availability
CV Tools is expected to be available ‘soon’, and is available now as a public beta.