sonicLAB and Hainbach have introduced a new VST instrument, Fundamental, that’s inspired by vintage test equipment.
Fundamental is a collaboration between Sinan Bökesoy of SonicLab & synthesist Hainbach. They say that the virtual instrument is “like something Stockhausen, Xenakis and HAL 9000 might have dreamed up after a bender”.
Here’s what they have to say about it:
“Fundamental wave engine is a faithful sonic recreation of a vintage Rohde&Schwartz vacuum tube oscillator ( having been widely used at WDR by Stockhausen )
Fundamental leaves behind the limitations of the original device by proposing complex modulation possibilities, stochastic distributions addressing the sonic parameters like frequency , gain, stereo panning etc. in continuum, which has not been applicable until now.
Fundamental feels like something Stockhausen, Xenakis and HAL 9000 might have dreamed up after a bender: recalling the past of electronic music through a dynamic modern reinterpretation of a massive german vacuum oscillator,
a collaboration of Sinan Bökesoy and Hainbach
A test equipment sound is not pure technically. The gain stage has a vacuum tube and also the frequencies below 60hz do sound anything but a sine wave. All these are the signature of a vintage sonic richness.
The grounds of this project have been founded during a visit to Hainbach’s studio in Berlin, who is well known for deeply incorporating these vintage tools of the past in his modern electronic music since a while. The core idea was basically recreating a test tone equipment sound in software form but with the approach which sonicLAB has followed on its previous products.
The Fundamental software presents you 8 instances of this vintage sine wave generator with all the artifacts and richness of a vintage equipment. That combination is we believe something you should experience.”
- Unique polymorphing wavetable synthesis
- 4 dynamic wavetables being rendered for each voice to represent infinitesimal steps of frequency and gain combinations between 1HZ – 3800Hz of the original vacuum tube oscillator.
- 8 simultaneous voices each with custom freq, gain, boost, panning and modulation settings.
- Custom or harmonic frequency distribution of voices with variable spread ratio and tuning table.
- 4 independent stochastic modulations for each voice (32 in total) addressing all parameters with various continuous, discrete distributions and also standard waveforms.
- Full MPE support with various configuration possibilities.
- Independent Attack / Release envelopes for each voice with various modes, AR times can be set to degrees of randomness.
- Vintage oscillator or pure sine wave mode.
Pricing and Availability
Fundamental is available now with an intro price of $55 USD (normally $78). iLok required.