English developer Harry Axten has created the Roland TR-707 ROM Expansion, a third-party mod that expands the sounds available to include sounds from other classic Roland, Linn & Oberheim drum machines.
- Adds eight sound banks to the TR-707 or TR-727 (see page for full list)
- Original sound sets from both machines included, so the modified machine can work exactly as stock
- ROM bank is selected by holding down one of the first eight step switches at startup
- Reversible, invisible installation – doesn’t require any holes drilled, track cuts, etc.
- Kit includes pre-assembled expansion board, chip socket and ribbon cable
Here’s a user demo, via preromanbritain, covering installing and using the mod:
19:16 In the studio
20:19 Sounds : TR-707
20:45 Sounds : TR-727
22:07 Sounds : TR-808
24:20 Sounds : TR-909
26:58 Sounds : LinnDrum
28:00 Sounds : LM-1
28:36 Sounds : DMX
29:31 Sounds : 707 + 727
31:18 vs TR-505 : DMX
33:33 vs TR-505 : LM-1
35:42 vs TR-505 : LinnDrum
37:29 Full beat
Pricing and Availability
The Roland TR-707 ROM Expansion is available for £60. It’s currently sold out, but a new batch is expected in later September.