Synthesist Thorsten Quaeschning (Tangerine Dream, Picture Palace Music) has announced Season 2 of Behind Closed Doors, a series of live studio performances with a wide variety of guest performers.
Quaeschning will be airing two episodes following up on Season 1 first:
31st August 2020
Geartalk Season 1
3rd September 2020
Interview Season I
Then, a new Season 2 performance will be aired every Monday and Thursday 7th September – October 2020.
Here’s what Quaeschning has to say about Behind Closed Doors:
“The idea to BEHIND CLOSED DOORS was born in the first week of lockdown in Berlin. The world stops turning. Every concert is cancelled, musicians have to interrupt their tours. Berlin concert halls remain empty. Film producers are affected as well. Every production is on hold. Should we wait till everything is back to normal?
Two weeks and fifty phone calls later the first edition of BEHIND CLOSED DOORS is ready. Everybody lends a helping hand, nobody asks for money. A private sponsor pays for electricity and crew in the UFA Fabrik Berlin, whose board spontaneously gives us a go for recording – not on the stage, but in front of it. The place where you usually find the audience standing and cheering.
The musicians are more than happy to be able to play again and also give their best. A small film production team, a director and a cameraman, records the event with five cameras and cuts the show live.
Thorsten Quaeschning (Tangerine Dream, Picture Palace music) and his music define the style of the sessions in the UFA Fabrik and also of the second edition of BEHIND CLOSED DOORS produced in the LIDO in Berlin, Kreuzberg. His real-time-composing / improvisation skills give the guest musicians a great space to show their art and talent. Bringing such different musicians and music genres together creates magical moments in every session.
In the near future we want to expand the project. Musicians who have participated in BEHIND CLOSED DOORS can actively suggest and invite new artists. And those can invite other musicians as well. Thus we can offer more and more opportunities to perform and grow the project, even in times of strict regulations!
None of the initiators know just now, how we might benefit from the success of the project in the future. It is truly one big experiment. The videos of the sessions are available on demand on VIMEO after recording, the audio files on the artists account on BANDCAMP. We already create a little income, that is distributed evenly between all participants, as BEHIND CLOSED DOORS is a community project.
Here are the artists that have been invited to participate in Season 2:
- Jan „STIX“ Pfennig (Stix on Speed, Konta K),
- Shawn Crowder (Sungazer),
- Kristof Hahn (Swans),
- Lutz „LÜÜL“ Graf-Ulbrich (Agitation free, Ash Ra Tempel, 17 Hippies),
- Paul Frick (Brandt Brauer Frick, Tangerine Dream),
- Markus Reuter (Stick Men, The Crimson ProjeKCt, Centrozoon),
- Freddy Hau (HAU9, Luxuslärm, Jini Meyer Band),
- Harald Grosskopf (Wallenstein, Ash Ra Tempel, Klaus Schulze, Lilli Berlin),
- Hoshiko Yamane (Tangerine Dream, Jane Birkin, Tukico),
- Mya Audrey (Dinah, Schwarz),
- Shir-Ran Yinon (Mondëna Quartet, New Model Army, Haggard),
- Franz Bargmann (Michael Rother´s NEU!, Ex-Camera),
- Dana Schechter (Insect Ark, Swans),
- Alex Kozmidi (Camera),
- Knut Hagedorn (Knut Hagedorn Quartett, 17 Hippies),
- Stephan Graf von Bothmer,
- Helge Sorg (Ugly Dub),
- Berliner Live Filmmusic Orchestra
Here’s an example of one of the performances from Season 1, Quaeschning with Schiller: