Bitwig has introduced the latest update to its namesake DAW, Bitwig Studio 3.3, as a beta release.
The lastest release focuses on offering greater control and sculpting possibilities for sounds, whether coloring audio sources or reinterpreting note messages in new ways.
Here’s what’s new in Bitwig Studio 3.3:
- Polymer – described as ‘a Hybrid Modular Synthesizer’
- New Wavetable Module – The Wavetable module brings another method of synthesis to Bitwig. True to The Grid, this oscillator can be controlled by stereo control signals, accessing different parts of a wavetable at once.
- Two new modulators:
- Vibrato is an LFO tuned for this musical purpose. Since Polymer keeps the focus on sound design, having an LFO automatically controlled by mod wheel saves another five clicks. Or switch it to Pressure for full MPE use.
- Ramp takes the set time to go up (or down), which is nice when reading thru wavetables. Its other parameters are curve, total range, and looping, which changes this simple envelope into a per-note sequencer of sorts.
- Updated Devices and Additions to The Grid
- Free Content Scaling. Whatever is selected in the timeline can now be stretched directly.
- Project Sections Page. The Project Panel has gained a new Sections page, which lists all Arranger cue markers and Launcher scenes side-by-side.
- Preserve Your Transients. Always a goal of Bitwig Studio, version 3.3 extends this thinking to fades, allowing you to fade in from where your audio starts or to go back before it begins, automatically extending the clip and keeping the sound as edited.
- Modulation Enhancements. While modulators could always control each other, any single modulation routing can now be scaled by a modulator. And each modulation routing now has various curves, either for shaping the signal or making it responsive across only part of a knob range.
The Bitwig Studio 3.3 release is planned for Q4. It is a free upgrade to everyone with an active Upgrade Plan for Bitwig Studio. Polymer and the new modulators (Vibrato and Ramp) are also part of Bitwig Studio 16-Track. The Bitwig Studio 3.3 Beta is available for download as of today. Everyone with an active Bitwig Studio upgrade plan has access and is invited to download the installer from their account.