Klevgränd has introduced Pipa, a new vocal synthesis plugin for MacOS & Windows.
The synth engine is a crossover between a wavetable- and a granulating synthesizer, which they say results in an expressive and playable instrument.
Instead of using ordinary samples or processing oscillators with formant filters, Pipa uses a large database of thousands of wavetables extracted from real vocal samples. The advantage of the technique is that it’s possible to seamlessly morph between wavetables, with proper phase alignment. This enables Pipa to continuously make transitions between pitch, formants and dynamics, which is very useful in a musical context.
- Unique crossover between a wavetable- and a granulating synthesizer.
- Continuous morphing between formants, dynamics and pitch
- Features both male and female voices
- Separate envelopes (with linked release time) and LFOs for formant, dynamics, gain and pitch
- Two MIDI Assignable controllers (Ctrl1 and Ctrl2) for controlling formants, dynamics, pitch and gain
- Legato mode with control over both pitch glide time and velocity glide time
- Voice spatialization
- Plenty of factory presets
- Room simulation + Reverb algorithm
Pricing and Availability
Pipa is available now for Windows and macOS, with an intro price of $24.99 USD for desktop and $9.99 for iOS through January 5th, 2021.