At Superbooth 2021, Haken Audio has introduced the EaganMatrix Module, a 22 HP Euro format module that puts an advanced polyphonic modular matrix synth engine into your Eurorack system.
The EaganMatrix Module is a full-featured EaganMatrix Sound Engine for Eurorack, and can be controlled by control voltages and/or MIDI.
The EaganMatrix is a highly-respected synth engine, originally created for the Haken Continuum and also the engine for the upcoming Expressive E Osmose. The synth engine supports a wide range of synthesis methods, including Subtractive Synthesis, Physical Modelling with Modal Filter Banks, FM, Spectral Sets with Micro Analysation, including Waveguide with Feedback and Feedback Delay Networks.
It was also designed for responsive expressive control and supports multidimensional control, MPE and MPE+ MIDI.
EaganMatrix presets are edited by using a cross-platform editing program, the Haken Editor, above.
The EaganMatrix takes advantage of the subtle and dramatic musical possibilities provided by CV signals as well as MPE and MPE+ MIDI. The freedom of its internal matrix design and internal deep modulation structure allows for deep integration with your patched CV inputs. This allows complex sound modulation to be assigned and mapped to the detail of your control voltages.
The EaganMatrix Module can act as a sound source, a sound processor, a CV source (via connection to an external Control Voltage Converter), a MIDI source, or a customizable combination of all these capabilities.
- Advanced polyphonic synth engine with multidimensional expressive control
- Polyphony: Nominal 1, Maximum 8 – Direct CV note control is limited to 1 voice at a time, but higher polyphony avoids voice stealing when EaganMatrix presets have long decays, and higher polyphony is often useful for MIDI input.
- Control via integrated CV I/O, MIDI, external CV (with Haken Control Voltage Converter)
- 4 Per-note CV Inputs: W, X, Y, Z
- Gate (W) — Triggers at 1V, with max range -10V to +10V
- Pitch (X) — 1V per octave, with programmable offset for Middle C
- Timbre (Y) — Function depends on EaganMatrix preset; voltage ranges 0..5V, -5..+5V, or 0..10V, with programmable offset
- Loudness (Z) — 0..5V, -5..+5V, or 0..10V, with programmable offset
- Robust implementation of MPE and MPE+ MIDI
- Cross-platform (Mac and PC) Haken Editor may be connected to create and customize presets
- 4 Global CV Inputs: i, ii, iii, iv
- Functionality depends on EaganMatrix preset; these CV affect all voices (notes from WXYZ and Midi); each global CV has selectable voltage range 0..5V, -5..+5V, or 0..10V, and programmable offset
- 2 Analog Audio Inputs: Left and Right, or Mono
- 2 Analog Audio Outputs: Left and Right, or Mono Sum
-12dB switch selects between Eurorack Level and Line Level
- MIDI over USB – Allows bidirectional MPE and MPE+ connection to other devices; allows connection to the Haken Editor for editing and archiving EaganMatrix presets (USB-A cable included with purchase)
- Universal 3.5mm Midi In (Type A, Type B, and TS) – Allows connection to other MIDI devices without need of computer or USB (adapter to 5-pin DIN Midi In included with purchase)
- Type B 3.5mm Midi Out – Allows connection to other MIDI devices without need of computer or USB (adapter to 5-pin DIN Midi Out included with purchase)
- i2c Port for Communication to optional Control Voltage Converter – (a switch selects between 3.5mm Midi Out and i2c functionality)
- 12 Switches, 1 Rotary, and LED Matrix – A menu system allows stand-alone operation without need of computer, and provides monitoring for notes being played and CV input levels
Here’s a demo, via loopop, of a Slim Continuum being used to control EaganMatrix. Starting at about 15:00 in, there’s an in-depth discussion of the Editor and synth engine:
Pricing and Availability
The EaganMatrix Eurorack Module is now available to pre-order for $799 USD.