Oberheim has officially announced the OB-X8, a new synth that they say brings back a legendary analog synth sound after over 40 years, but with state-of-the-art features that expand on the capabilities of the originals.
The Oberheim OB-X8 combines the three different voice architectures of the classic OB-X, OB-Xa, and OB-8 synths into a single instrument. The individual filter types and other unique characteristics of each model have been faithfully reproduced, along with an uncompromising 100% analog signal path.
As a result, the Oberheim OB-X8 is much more than a reissue, it’s a new Oberheim design that offers better synthesis options and expressive capabilities than its predecessors, including:
- Additional SEM filter modes add high-pass, band-pass, and notch functions to the classic OB-X filter
- Vintage knob allows variable amounts of voice-to-voice variability to emulate the behavior of vintage instruments
- Velocity sensitivity adds expressiveness to volume and filter
- Channel Aftertouch adds real-time performance-based modulation
- Enhanced unison allows variable voice stacking from 1-8 voices
- Variable triangle wave cross-modulation
- Over 600 user-programmable preset locations
- Programmable per-program pan allows wider stereo presence
- Variable oscillator and noise levels
OB insiders know that the myriad of “Page 2? functions unlocked the hidden power of the original OB-X, OB-Xa, and OB-8. The OB-X8 features all of the classic page 2 parameters and new ones for 2022, giving you direct access to 40+ nuanced controls, such as additional SEM filter modes, per-voice panning, LFO keyboard tracking, Mod delay time and envelope inversion, independent pulse width control, and much more.
For even greater expressiveness than the originals, the OB-X8 features a premium-quality Fatar keyboard, with velocity and aftertouch sensitivity.
- 8-voice, pure-analog polyphony with saw, square/pulse, triangle, and noise
- Two discrete SEM/OB-X-lineage VCOs per voice deliver classic Oberheim tone
- Discrete SEM-lineage VCFs deliver authentic OB-X-style tone and presence
- Genuine Curtis filters add bold OB-Xa/OB-8 character
- Meticulously modeled envelope responses match each OB model: OB-X, OB-Xa, and OB-8
- The 61-key FATAR velocity- and touch-sensitive keyboard offers expanded expression and responsiveness
- Bi-timbral capability allows two presets simultaneously for splits and doubles
- 400-plus factory programs, including the full set of factory sounds for the OB-X, OB-SX, OB-Xa, and OB-8
- Integral, fanless, heatsink-free power supply
- Real walnut end cheeks
- High-resolution OLED display enables patch management and easy access to advanced features
- Classic Oberheim Pitch and Mod levers allow expressive note bending, vibrato, and access to arpeggiator functions
Pricing and Availability
The Oberheim OB-X8 is available to pre-order now, priced at $4,999.