The Oberheim Matrix-12 is a vintage synth from 1985 that represents the “the culmination of Oberheim’s search for the ‘perfect analog synthesizer’.”
The Matrix 12 was a hybrid analogue/digital modular synth with a massive complement of audio generators, audio processors, controllers and control processors with extensive patching options. Each voice had two analog oscillators, a multi-mode and multi-pole (1 – 4-pole) filter, fifteen VCAs, five envelope generators, five multi-wave LFOs (each of which offered no less that 64 control waveforms), plus tracking generators, ramp generators and lag processors.
The Oberheim Matrix-12 is considered by many to be one of the finest and most programmable keyboard synthesizers ever created.
If you’ve used the Oberheim Matrix-12, leave a comment and let us know what you think!
- 12 Independent Velocity, Release Velocity and Pressure (After Touch) responsive analog Voices.
- Voice Control Assignment can be per MIDI Input Channel (12 maximum) or per polyphonic grouping in up to six Zones.
On-Board (“Local”) Controllers
- 61-Note (C0 to C5) five-Octave Velocity, Release Velocity and Pressure (After-Touch) sensitive Keyboard, non-weighted.
- 2 Non-dedicated Modulation Levers.
- 2 Non-dedicated Pedal Inputs.
- 2 Voltage Controlled Oscillators (“VCOs”)
- 1 15-Mode Voltage Controlled Filter (“VCF”)
- 15 Voltage Controlled Amplifiers (“VCA”)
- 1 FM Modulation Generator
- 1 Lag Processor
- 3 Tracking Generators
- 5 Digital Envelopes
- 5 Digital Low Frequency Oscillators (“LFOs”)
- 1 Noise Generator
- Matrix Modulation™ System utilizing 27 possible Sources routed to 47 possible Destinations in up to 20 “Modulation Pages” per Voice.
- 12 Permanent (“hardwired”) modulation per Voice.
- MIDI IN, MIDI OUT and MIDI THRU Ports
- Transmit and Receive Channel select independent per Voice (MIDI MONO Mode) or per polyphonic Zone.
- Modes –
- Mode 1: OMNI On, Poly
- Mode 3: OMNI Off, Poly
- Mode 4: OMNI Off, Mono
- Controllers –
- Indendent Controller Number select
- Controllers ON/OFF select
- Patch Change Commands ON/OFF select
- Miscellaneous MIDI Features –
- System Exclusive ON/OFF select
- MIDI Echo ON/OFF select
- Three 40-Character Fluorescent Displays
- 100 SINGLE Patch Memory Locations
- 100 MULTI Patch Memory Locations
- “Chain” Programming Mode
- Cassette Interface – FROM (input) and TO (output) ports
- Trigger Input Requirements (selectable): +5V DC signal minimum, 1ms Pulse Width
- Power Requirements (selectable):
- North America and Japan: 95 – 120 V A.C., 50 – 60Hz
- Europe: 200 – 230 V A.C., 50 – 60 Hz
- Length: 38-7/16 in. (97.63 cm)
- Width: 20-5/16 in. (51.59 cm)
- Height (maximum, Including feet): 5-15/16 in. (15.08 cm)
- Net: 33 lbs. (14.97 kg.)
- Shipping: 40 lbs. (18.60 kg.)
- FS-7 Sustain Footswitch
- POB-X Volume Pedal
- Individual Voice Outputs Update Kit