Native Instruments has announced Traktor Kontrol S4, a new integrated hardware/software package designed to be a state-of-the-art digital DJ system.
Traktor Kontrol S4 Features:
- Integrated 4-deck TRAKTOR controller and software.
- Plug & play – all you need to start mixing is your computer and MP3s.
- 4-channel mixer with ergonomic layout, 2 high-res jog wheels.
- 2 analog inputs with phono and mic preamps for hooking up turntables, CD players or external audio gear.
- TRAKTOR PRO S4 software – pro features, supreme usability; features 4-deck mixing and effects, plus all-new Sample Decks and a powerful Loop Recorder.
- 2 customizable FX units with 28 performance effects for adding your own trademark sound.
- Powerful MP3 management with iTunes® integration and iPod® compatibility.
- Built-in 24bit/96 kHz soundcard features pristine, award-winning audio quality.
- All components designed by the same team – precision German engineering.
- Includes 40 original loops and 10 full tracks from the world-famous Loopmasters Studio.
In the video demo above, DMC World Champ DJ Shiftee gives the Traktor Kontrol S4 DJ system a workout highlighting the new Sample Decks and Loop Recorder in four mini-routines:
- Live looping and editing, cue point juggling and jog wheel scratching on the Tetris melody, using dubstep Loopmaster loops.
- Using one-shots like speech samples and horn-stabs in the S4 Sample Decks to build a set.
- Triggering synced loops, grabbing them on-the-fly from Diplo’s remix of “Flashing Lights” and using the Sample Decks as an additional deck in Traktor.
- Using live audio playback from the S4 Loop Recorder like a live mix of sequencer automation.
According to Native Instruments, “Traktor Kontrol S4 represents a new level of software and hardware integration that makes DJing more versatile, more intuitive and more fun.”
Traktor Kontrol S4 is expected to be available this winter for $999 USD/899 EUR. The Traktor Kontrol Case will retail for for $189 USD/169 EUR.
Check out the demo and let me know what you think of Traktor Kontrol S4!
More details below.
Traktor Kontrol S4 Overview
This video offers Native Instrument’s official introduction to the Traktor Kontrol S4 system.
Traktor Kontrol S4 Software
The included TRAKTOR PRO S4 software offers the full feature set of TRAKTOR PRO, further expanded through new performance functions and an optimized user interface.
Two flexible Sample Decks can add up to eight simultaneous one-shot samples or beat-synced loops to the mix, opening up creative remixing and mash-up possibilities that go far beyond conventional DJing techniques.
The unique Loop Recorder also allows DJs to capture and overdub audio loops from the live mix, cue signal or an external input on the fly, and drop them back into the mix at any time.
Traktor Kontrol S4 Hardware
All relevant functions including looping, cueing, effects control and track browsing are immediately accessible on the Kontrol S4 hardware, with multi-color backlighting, LED status displays and comprehensive level metering designed to let you focus on performance rather than on the computer screen.
The dual touch-sensitive jog wheels on the KONTROL S4 hardware offer precise and responsive deck control, due to a new electromagnetic technology, complemented through Native Instruments’ high resolution NHL protocol, that provides superior performance over conventional MIDI. The integrated low-latency 24bit/96kHz audio interface is based on the AUDIO 4 DJ.
External time-code control via turntables and CD decks will be enabled through a future software upgrade. To accommodate touring DJs, a professional flightcase that doubles as an adjustable performance stand will also be available as an accessory for TRAKTOR KONTROL S4.