MIT students Bayley Wang, Heidi Baumgartner and Daniel Kramnik have developed the oneTesla – a DIY kit for a solid-state MIDI Tesla coil that plays music, shoots 2-foot-long sparks, and teaches you about electronics.
oneTesla consists of several major parts:
- The driver board. This is what powers the whole Tesla coil. It plugs into the wall and sits inside the main chassis.
- The interrupter board. This little board takes a MIDI input, and outputs an optical signal, which travels along a fiber optic cable to the control board. This fiber link is necessary to isolate the high voltage from your delicate music-making electronics. It has a microcontroller that converts the music into an optical signal. The oneTesla interrupter is polyphonic – it can play 2 notes at once!
- The primary coil. A few turns of thick wire on an acrylic form, this coil is directly connected to the driver and excites the secondary and topload.
- The secondary coil. 1800 turns of fine wire on a long, thin form, which gives the Tesla coil its distinctive look.
- The topload. A toroid perched on top of the secondary coil, which forms a capacitor. Together with the secondary coil, it forms a resonant circuit that can build up to extremely high voltages.
Here’s a musical demo of the oneTesla in action:
oneTesla supports input from any MIDI source and can play multiple notes at once. According to the developers, it has stellar performance for its size – up to 23″ of sparks from a 10″ secondary, and at the same time runs off a simple 120V wall outlet.
oneTesla is being developed as a Kickstarter project. The kit is available for $209.
15 thoughts on “Build A DIY MIDI Singing Tesla Coil – oneTesla”
Oooh. Daddy like! Not exactly practical, but that’s sort of the point, I think.
Shocking… and sick!!!
Very nice! who wouldn’t want to set one of these up at their next gig!
Hell yes. Must have. Although this combined with my at-show whiskey consumption could prove fatal for all involved…Screw it, life’s a risk
I wonder how my cat would like to play this
I want one!
Love it tesla would be stoked about this 🙂
I’m going to build one with my kid, he’ll love it
If you want one of the first batch, you’d better be quick as this is going much faster than they anticipated.
Now I have to wait for their package to arrive :-/
First person to get zapped onstage and not die wins a second Tesla coil.
i’ll just put that next to my modular – sure it won’t be a problem
Oh man, I would love one of these!
Nikola, would be impressed Geroge Westinghouse and Edison would smile!
Bravo to the designers of this very novel speaker!
Need one let me know when I can get one