Here’s a quick demo of the Arpie MIDI arpeggiator, available as a kit from Lush Projects.
The ARPIE controls any MIDI synthesizer and automatically sequences chords in to the component notes.
- Arpeggio modes: Up, Down, Pendulum, Random Order, Manual Order
- Octave span: 1 – 4 octaves
- Note repeat modes: None, Lowest note, Highest note, 3 forward-1 back, 4 forward-2 back
- Step length: 1 beat thru 1/32 beat including dotted and triplet time steps
- Octave transpose: -3 thru +3 octaves
- Chromatic transpose: -3 thru +12 semitones
- Chord hold mode: on/off
- 16 step pattern editor allows you to apply a rhythmic pattern of mutes/rests over the arpeggio. Interactive control over repeating sequence of mutes which does not have to match the arpeggio length, allowing you to create weird and wonderful rhythmic and melodic effects.
- MIDI receive channel: 1-16 or OMNI mode
- MIDI send channel: 1-16
- MIDI note velocity: 0-127 in 16 increments
- MIDI note gate length: 15 increments up to one step length plus tied-note mode
- MIDI Synch mode: None/Master/Slave (can receive MIDI clock from IN or SYNCH sockets)
- Internal tempo generator for Master/standalone use with controllable bpm and “tap” function
- MIDI panic (all notes off) feature
- MIDI thru on controllers (e.g. Mod wheel, pitch bend) and notes
- Selectable options on MIDI thru functionality
- Switchable “lock” mode to ignore note input on a given ARPIE (useful when controlling multiple ARPIEs)
- Works great with other ARPIES. Cheap enough to use a bank of hardware arpeggiators in a composition or performance setup for hands-on tweaking.
- Performance possible without attached MIDI controller by selecting CMaj/CMin/C7/Cmaj7/Cmin7/Random chord insert and using transpose features to change to noother root note
- Minimal, but easy-to-use control surface is based on 16 data LEDS, 16 data buttons, 13 command buttons
- Three standard 5-pin DIN sockets for MIDI IN, MIDI OUT, SYNC IN
- Receive, Transmit, Beat Clock and Chord Hold LEDs on control surface, plus firmware diagnostic/power LEDs on main board.
- Integral 9V PP3 battery holder and 9V DC socket (centre positive 2.1mm barrel)
- Small size (98mm x 87mm x 35mm approx dimensions) and light weight (approx 125g without battery)
The ARPIE is available for £52.00 via LushProjects. The ARPIE is fully open source with hackable hardware and software.