At the 2015 NAMM Show, Korg has introduced the SQ-1 step sequencer, an updated take on the classic Korg SQ-10 step sequencer.
The Korg SQ-1 is a compact step sequencer with 2 x 8 steps. Its wealth of connection jacks allows it to be connected to the MS-20 and a variety of other synthesizers.
Both vintage analog synths and the latest compact synths can be controlled from the SQ-1.
- Sequencer Mode – ALTERNATE, ORDER, PARALLEL TURN, PARALLEL ORDER, CV/DUTY, CV/SLIDE, CV/DUTY RADOM, RANDOM
- Step Mode – GATE ON/OFF, ACTIVE STEP, SLIDE, STEP JUMP
- Sequence Step Resolution – quarter notes, eighth notes, sixteenth notes
- CV OUT Pitch – Linear, Minor, Major, Chromatic
- CV OUT Voltage – 1V, 2V, 5V (Oct) 8V (Hz/V)
- GATE OUT Polarity: + (positive polarity), – (negative polarity)
- SYNC IN/OUT Polarity + (rise), – (fall)
- littleBits OUT jack (mini monaural phone jack)
- OUT (MIDI OUT) jack (mini stereo phone jack)
- CV – A OUT – GATE jack (mini monaural phone jack, CV OUT : Output Level 1V, 2V, 5V, 8[Hz/V], GATE OUT: output level 10V)
- CV – BOUT – GATE jack (mini monaural phone jack, CV OUT : Output Level 1V, 2V, 5V, 8[Hz/V], GATE OUT: Output Level 10V)
- – IN – SYNC – OUT jack (mini monaural phone jack, SYNC IN: Max Input Level 20V,
- SYNC OUT: Output Level 5V)
- USB jack (type B, USB MIDI)
- Power Supply – Two AA batteries (alkaline batteries recommended), or USB power
- Battery Life – approximately 5 hours (when using alkaline batteries)
- Dimension (W x D x H) – 93 x 84 x 63 mm/7.60″ x 3.31″ × 2.48″
- Weight – 641 g/1.41 lbs.
- Included Items – Two AA batteries for checking operation, mini plug – DIN cable
- Options – Patch cable MS-CABLE-18
Pricing and Availability
The Korg SQ-1 has a street price of about US $99. It’s available now via Amazon and other online retailers.
27 thoughts on “Korg Intros Portable SQ-1 Step Sequencer”
i’ll take two
Just ordered mine, £79……bargain.
I’m seeing $99 at a shop I frequent. Not a bad price for this. Looks better than the equally priced BeatStep.
Don’t get the beatstep. I got it and it was a BIG mistake. If I had known Korg was making this, I would have waited. The Beatstep doesn’t support the Korg CV format, has to be configured via a terribly unstable, glitchy software (which I have yet to get synchronized with this software)… it’s a hot mess.
The SQ-1 is shipping now, I should have it in like 3 days. I can’t wait, I am REALLY happy with everything Korg is doing right now.
I saw one place list it for a pre order price of $99.99. I would post the name, but I don’t know if it’s allowed for advertising purposes…tasty h2o?
Yep, 99 euros, I just called a store. With a sturdy metal case and so many control options this is the bargain of the year. I want two
maybe have a look at the beat step pro first
Yeah, I think I would prefer to spend a little more and get the Beatstep Pro after comparing specs and my gear. This Korg thing looks capable, just a little too mini for my taste. If I had the Little Bits or Monotron, might feel differently..
Or an MS-20 mini that won’t work with a Beatstep due the Hz/volt.
stiff competition from arturia’s new sequencer though. Eurorack is getting some serious mainstream love!!! Now I just need to be able to afford one
yep it seems that arturia’s sequencer is a bit more high-end .. 🙂
It can be worse… currently 119€ here http://www.justmusic.de/en-gb/keys/sound-modules/groove-boxes-sequencing-softwares/9146711/sq-1-.html
talk about ripping off…
It has a korg little bits output !!
What about a sq-10 type, 3 rows of knobs, now that be killer
Arturia announced “Beatstep Pro”
= 16 pads, 16 knobs, 2*sequequencers with CV+MIDI+USB….
It’s probably just wishful thinking, but if this thing has a USB in and CV out, wouldn’t it be great if you could make it send CV/Gate over USB from a DAW for sample accurate timing……..
I think you hit the nail on the head. It has USB…Also this video gives a clue: http://youtu.be/wxAiDQLqtPs?t=45s
no brainer. WANT!!!
So, does this mean you can sequence vintage gear using a DAW?
If so I guess I have something else to use my arduino for.
Beatstep doesn’t have Hz/V output. This is a nobrainer for anyone with vintage or reissued MS synths. Two for me please B)
Wow! Check this out for a sequencer: Koma Elektronik Komplex Sequencer !!
A beauty ;D
Maybe the beatsteppro isn’t so hot after all.
Too… much…gear… Paying attention to this year’s NAMM was a huge mistake. I’m mentally spending 2016 paychecks.
I want one…using something maybe the volca beats to receive midi clock to send into the sync in…and sending cv/sync out to some of the other fine gear I have? Hmmmmmmmm…THOUGHTS!!!!! Looks like another level of fun. FOR CHEAP. Korg wants ALL of your disposable income!
Personally I’ll use Numerology and a hardware external controller…. but Im a software guy at heart 🙂
After the ms20 mini came out, many many people asked for a remake of the sq-10. I suppose korg sort of listened lol
So can I use this with Moog gear?