Korg has officially announced the Volca FM synthesizer – a three-voice digital FM synthesizer that they say reproduces the sound of ‘a classic FM synthesizer’ (aka the Yamaha DX 7) and provides compatibility with it, as well.
Here’s their official intro:
Here’s what Korg has to say about the new synth:
The appearance of FM (Frequency Modulation) sound generation was a major turning point in the history of synthesizers. Its metallic and sharp sounds, most notably electric piano and synth bass, have been loved by all music creators since 1980 up to the present time.
The volca fm perfectly reproduces the sound engine of the classic digital synthesizer that made the world aware of FM synthesis. Its six operators and 32 algorithms provide complete compatibility, and it can even load files in the SYS-EX/SYX format of the Yamaha DX7.
The volca fm makes FM sound editing accessible with the MODULATOR/CARRIER super-easy edit knobs – the knob movements are mapped to multiple parameters for sound changes that are easy to understand. FM enthusiasts can also menu dive into full parameter edits. The volca fm comes accompanied with a Parameter List Guide to assist this.
Along with a perfect reproduction of the sound engine, the volca fm is also equipped with a lush chorus effect to add depth to your sounds and further expand its sound-creating potential.
Korg Volca FM Audio Demos
Korg Volca FM Specificiations
- Multi touch keyboard
- FM synthesis
- Maximum Polyphony
- 3 voices
- 6 operators, 32 algorithms
- Number of Programs
- Main Edits
- Modulator (Attack, Decay), Carrier (Attack, Decay), LFO (Rate, P.Depth), Algrtm
Available to edit full parameters for each operator in Edit Mode
- Transpose, Velocity, Octave, Arp (Type, Div)
- Arpeggiator Types
- 9 (each 3 patterns of “Rise”, “Fall”, and “Random”)
- Voice Modes
- Poly, Mono, Unison
- Number of Parts
- Number of Steps
- Number of Recording Patterns
- Motion Sequence, Active Step, Warp Active Step, Pattern Chain, Metronome
- Audio Output
- Headphones (3.5mm stereo mini jack)
- Sync In (3.5mm monaural mini jack, Maximum input level: 20V)
Sync Out (3.5mm monaural mini jack, Output level: 5V)
When two units of volca fm, available to export the sound programs and sequence data from a volca fm to the other one
Available to convert and load SYS-EX/SYX file created on the Yamaha DX7
- Power Supply
- AA alkaline battery x 6 or AA nickel-metal hydride battery x 6
Or AC adapter (DC 9V) (optional)
- Battery Life
- Approximately 10 hours (using alkaline batteries)
- Dimensions (W x D x H)
- 193 x 115 x 40 mm / 7.60” x 4.53” x 1.57”
- 360 g / 12.70 oz. (Excluding batteries)
- Included Items
- AA alkaline battery x 6 (for verifying operation), Sync Cable, Edit Parameter List
- AC adapter (DC 9V) KA-350
The Volca FM manual is also available as a PDF via the Korg site.
Pricing and availability are to be announced.