Moog Music has announced the 6th Annual Moog Circuit Bending Challenge – a contest challenging participants to take a battery-powered device and circuit-bend it into an instrument capable of creating new and unique sounds, and doing it on a limited budget.
Entrants will create and post videos on YouTube, featuring their completed instruments and documenting the process of their creation. Moog will select three finalists and invite them to showcase their creations at Moogfest in May of 2017, where judges will determine a winner of the contest.
This Year’s Contest
This year, Moog’s circuit bending contest is challenging entrants to take a battery-powered device and circuit bend it into an instrument capable of creating new and unique sounds for a total budget of $70 or less.
Contestants will circuit bend an existing device to create a unique musical instrument that can be easily recreated by others while following these guidelines:
- The device you bend must be battery-operated with a power no greater than 9 volts.
- Project must be completed for a total cost of $70 or less. This includes the device you bend and all parts you use to bend it.
- You’ll need to create a bill of materials, build instructions, and photos sequencing the build step by step.
A winner will be chosen on the basis of reliable functionality, creativity, craftsmanship, artistic appearance, overall sound, and the popularity of the device with the public.
- Grand Prize: Minimoog Model D
- 2nd Place: Moog Sub 37
- 3rd Place: Moog Sub Phatty
The three finalists chosen will also receive two passes to Moogfest 2017 as well as a Moog merchandise package.
See the Moog Music site for details.