At the 2019 NAMM Show, Arturia is introducing the MicroFreak – described as ‘a peculiar, exceptional instrument that rewards the curious musician’.
The MicroFreak is a hybrid digital + analog synth that is built around a unique, expressive touch keyboard:
Here’s a hands-on demo, from the 2019 NAMM Show:
Here’s what they have to say about it:
Whether you’re looking for your first, affordable hardware synth or are collector looking for original sounds and unique interface, MicroFreak is the synth you need.
This out-there little music machine features a versatile digital oscillator so you can create rare and interesting sounds with ease. Modes like Texturer, KarplusStrong, Harmonic OSC, and Superwave give adventurous musicians the chance to explore totally new, unheard possibilities. Like having dozens of synths in just one instrument, both wild-eyed newcomers and seasoned professionals will fall in love with MicroFreak’s flexible, powerful synth engine.
MicroFreak packs so much in to such a compact instrument, you’ll wonder how we did it. We’d love to say it was magic, but it was pure skill and passion.
- Synthesizer with 192 preset slots and 128 factory presets
- 11 Digital oscillator with variable mode, including oscillators based on Mutable Instruments’ Plaits module
- Analog State Variable Filter, 12dB/octave, resonant, Low Pass, Band Pass, High Pass
- ADSR envelope
- Cycling Envelope offering two modes
- LFO with Sync: Sine, Tri, Saw, Square, Random, Slew Random
- Modulation matrix with 5 sources and 7 destinations (3 custom destinations)
- Monophonic or Paraphonic modes – Up to 4 voices
- 25-key capacitive keybed with polyphonic aftertouch
- Capacitive touch strip
- Crisp OLED display for editing and parameter values
- Powerful arpeggiator
- Up, Order, Random, Pattern modes
- Spice & Dice Gate randomizers
- 64-step sequencer
- 2 patterns per preset
- 4 automation tracks per preset
- CV / Gate / Mod outputs
- USB, Clock and MIDI in and out
- 6.35mm master and 3.5mm headphone output
Pricing and Availability
The Arturia MicroFreak is expected to be available Spring 2019, priced at US $349.