Intellijel has introduced two new Eurorack modules, Scales & Steppy 3U.
Scales is an 8hp dual-channel note quantizer and step sequencer. It takes an input voltage, quantizes it to notes in a user-defined scale, and sends that quantized voltage to an output, where you can use it as a melodic pitch source for oscillators or any other module that expects to see discreet note values at its input.
But it also goes beyond standard quantization roles, with a SH-101 style sequencer and more.
- SHIFT/PITCH inputs and A/B outputs operate in a -10v to +10v range with 1v/oct scaling
- 1-octave keyboard for selecting scale notes in real time and LED buttons provide visual feedback of quantizing
- Save and recall up to 35 different scales and sequences, arranged in 5 banks (black keys) of 7 scales each (white keys)
- 35 factory scale patterns included
- High resolution precision DAC for accurate pitch generation
- Adjustable trigger delay
- Input filtering eliminates jitter and glitches
- Low latency with a fast ARM processor
- LEARN function allows you to monitor external sequences or inputs and learn notes from them
- Tuning mode so you can conveniently tune connected VCOs
- ROOT function allows you to set root with or without shifting your current scale to match
- USB port on back for easy updates of firmware
Scales is priced at US $289.99. See the Intellijel site for details.
Steppy 3U is a 4-track programmable gate sequencer, with eight internal memory slots, external clocking, numerous tweakable parameters, and ‘a performance-first design aesthetic’.
Each track features numerous independent parameters that govern its playback independently of the other tracks. Specifically:
- Each track has its own length, which can range from 1-step to 64-steps, allowing for polyrhythms, fills, or constantly evolving gate interactions between tracks.
- Each track has its own gate length, which ranges from very short to very long, with tied gates possible at the extreme setting.
- Each track has its own clock divider, allowing patterns to play out over completely different periods of time.
- Each track has its own swing setting, which offsets the timing of every other step.
- Each track has its own delay setting, which offsets the timing of every step.
- Each track has its own probability control, which sets the likelihood that each programmed gate will fire when called upon by the pattern.
- Each track can be shifted (or ‘rotated’) forward or backward by a number of steps. So if you’ve created a pattern that ‘feels’ like it has its downbeat on step 3, you can shift that pattern two steps to the left, so that the downbeat sits on step 1.
Tracks can be programmed by entering active steps on the grid or tapped in live as the sequence is moving. Tracks can be selected and modified in real time as the sequence plays. A select button allows you to directly access each track (and each page of 16 steps within that track) directly through Steppy’s multifunction buttons array.
Tracks can be individually muted and unmuted, and a special performance mode (called “Loopy”) enables you to touch any two gate steps and instantly create a performance that loops between those steps.
Steppy 3U is coming soon for US $239.