Yonac Software has introduced Roxsyn, a new iOS guitar synth that turns your guitar or bass into a polyphonic synth.
Here’s what they have to say about it:
Unhappy with cold and temperamental guitar-to-MIDI synths that dominate the market, we developed a completely new approach to guitar synthesis. Our all-original technology synthesizes your guitar directly, without the use of MIDI notes. Rescued from being a poor keyboard substitute, your guitar suddenly becomes an integral part of the synth. It’s alive!
There is no pitch tracking involved. There are no pitch estimation errors, octave glitches, or garbled chords. There is no over-complicated G2M between your guitar and synth to destroy everything human about your playing. Instead, Roxsyn’s metamorphic sound generation technology retains all the personality of your sound: vibrato, slides, bends, dynamics, even extended technique. The result is a polyphonic synthesizer that is as fast and accurate as it is richly expressive.
No need for special MIDI pickups or hardware, either: just plug into your favorite Lightning/USB audio interface, and start synthing!
- Synth Engine – Roxsyn’s heart is its three metamorphic signal generators (AKA oscillators). Each generator offers 5 unique waveforms, and has a 4+ octave range. They also feature stereo panning, and can route into either of Roxsyn’s dual filter banks.
- Dual Filter Banks – Each containing four custom virtual-analog filter types and dedicated envelopes, the filter banks help sculpt the synth generators in countless new ways. The envelopes are specially designed for the guitar, and are driven by a fully adjustable automatic trigger generator controlled by your playing dynamics. Envelopes offer original features like finite-duration sustain stages, as well as the ability to receive or ignore trigger-off messages. They can also be triggered externally via MIDI controllers like an expression pedal. An additional envelope controls the amplitude of the signal, giving you even more options in creating synth sounds.
- Arpeggiator – There are 8 stepping algorithms to choose from, as well as settable note value, swing, and note repeats. You can even route the arp to any combination of the 3 voice generators — enabling you to layer a non-arpeggiated sound with an arp pattern. What’s more, the arp can send trigger signals into any of Roxsyn’s 4 envelopes, and even reset the LFOs. So it’s also a handy rhythmic / trance tool as well!
- Modulation & FX – Roxsyn’s modulation matrix lets you manipulate parameters (pitch, amplitude, filters, etc) using its two LFOs and mod envelope. Add subtle vibrato, even glide simulation, or go full-on berserk. LFOs each have 9 waveforms, and feature beat syncing. Each matrix row can take LFOs or the mod envelope as a modulator or control, and can even use external control sources.
- Effects – Roxsyn comes with stereo FX: Algorithmic reverb with the sound of countless rooms, phasing, modulating, 2-channel delay, and graphic EQ.
- Other Features: – 500+ factory presets with bass, lead, pad, arp sounds & more. Easily create & share your own presets. Audio Unit v3, IAA, Audiobus, Ableton Link. 64-bit processing at up to 96kHz. 160+ MIDI controllable parameters; MIDI learn & map save/share. Tapedeck (in the app), so you can record, loop & share your ideas on the go.
Roxsyn is available now for US $9.99.