The Surge Synthesizer Team has introduced Surge XT, a free and open source software synthesizer for Linux, Mac & Windows.
Surge XT is a major update to Surge, which was a commercial product prior to being open sourced. Over 2021, the Surge Synth team undertook an effort to rebuild Surge in JUCE and add a variety of features. This project resulted in the new version, Surge XT.
Surge XT features a hybrid synth architecture, supporting many synthesis techniques, and offering a wide selection of filters, modulation options and effects. Other key features include MPE support and microtuning.
There are hundreds of changes in Surge XT, in addition to the rewrite, including:
- Improved patch navigation
- Enhanced modulation options
- Accessibility enhancements
- Extensive keyboard shortcut support
- New microtuning interface
- New Tri-Pole filter type
- Expanded waveshaper section
- 4 send, scene insert and global insert effect slots
- New effects
- Updated UI
- Updated patch library
Here’s an unofficial video demo, via PLUGINS4FREE:
Here’s a playlist of Surge tracks, created as part of the One Synth Challenge: