Steve Roach’s Ambient Classic ‘Structures From Silence’ Gets 40th Anniversary Reissue

Projekt has released Structures from Silence (40th Anniversary Remaster), a reissue of Steve Roach’s ambient classic, with limited edition LP, 1CD, & 3CD formats.

Here’s what they have to say about the release:

Structures from Silence‘s breathing, suspended embrace of atmospheres and serene melodies instantly struck a chord with listeners in 1984; the album continues to reiterate its timeless resonations with new listeners today.

On this landmark recording of gentle proportions, the three long-form tracks were the birth of something new: an original and pure statement striking a balance between diaphanous and understated, deep and reflective. The listening experience evokes a sense of silence within the music as well as the space between the chords. It expresses the breath of life and offers a meditation on delicate strands of subtle awareness.

“Structures from Silence remains a still point in suspended time for me when looking back over the span of my life immersed within the creative currents of sound and silence. Over 40 years ago the pieces on this album were created from my sole (soul’s) desire to live within a sonic space that would provide a sense of safety, soul nurturing comfort and time suspension,” notes Roach.

“There was no original intention to make an album around these pieces. They were created purely as a sanctuary for my emerging personal journey as an artist. Once the three tracks were recorded it eventually became clear they belonged together in what would become the Structures from Silence album we have today and presented in this beautifully remastered 2024 edition. The response this music has reflected back to me over all these years is a humble reminder filled with gratitude, of the essential, pure need to listen deep into the moment, respond and create from this place without question.”

The 3CD deluxe edition includes two bonus discs created in 2013, and remastered for this edition.

The Structures from Silence reissue is available now via Bandcamp. You can preview it below:

Roach also has some upcoming concerts. See Songkick for details.

7 thoughts on “Steve Roach’s Ambient Classic ‘Structures From Silence’ Gets 40th Anniversary Reissue

  1. Roach is one of the first synthesizer-based composers to give ambient some elegant muscle, instead of it often being mere gauzy clouds. He clearly possesses some love for “Berlin style” pieces, but there’s a lot more to be had. If you don’t already know of him, this is a good place to start. He’s also a far better Xpander player than most.

    1. Whenever I’m listening to Soma FM’s ambient channels and I think to myself, wow whatever I’m hearing right now is just cold, unmusical, unpleasant — about 90% of the time it’s some track by Steve Roach, and the other 10% is people who want to sound like him.

      Compared to, say, Taylor Dupree, who makes beautiful music.

  2. name your price on Bandcamp for digital download/streaming in App.

    so thats a no brainer to enjoy this great release.

  3. Awesome album. Very nice textures and dreamscapes. One of my favourites from Steve Roach. And it’s name-your-price on bandcamp. You can’t go wrong. Check out his live stuff too, also name-your-price on bandcamp.

  4. Roach is really one of the godfathers of ambient/space music.

    I really get into his Oberheim patches, which are in full force on this, and the more granular textural stuff he’s done more recently. His Skeleton Keys album is also full of cool MU format sequencing and sounds.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *