- Bobby Owsinski writes “word has leaked out of Apple Europe (where Logic development is based) that the company has let go virtually its entire Logic team.”
- At MacWorld, Karen Haslam says “There may be no future for Apple’s pro audio application Logic if reports that the company has ‘decimated’ its Pro Audio applications team turn out to be true..”
- “There may be no future for Apple’s pro audio application Logic,” according to Computerworld, “if reports that the company has ‘decimated’ its Pro Audio applications team turn out to be true.”
Yes – and the Mayans may have predicted the demise of Logic Pro in 2012 – if it turns out that Apple actually kills off Logic Pro this year, based on a lost Mayan prophecy.
Where Does The Logic Pro Death-Watch Rumor Come From?
The source of the Logic Pro death-watch rumors is Russ Hughes at the Pro Tools Expert site. He writes:
Apple’s Pro Audio application team is virtually gone, according to recent conversations with a couple of ex-Apple employees. Europe is now down to just two pro application specialists according to sources, with the key pro applications job going and with no plans to replace the post.
Futhermore, we have been told that the next big audio application from Apple will be for the iPad.
Of course, none of this is confirmed and Apple never respond to speculation or rumour.
While there’s no credible source to confirm the Logic Pro death watch rumor, there are many things that suggest just the opposite:
- While it’s been several years since the last Logic Pro release, it’s pretty normal for companies to spend several years on an update, (See Ableton Live 9);
- Apple has been updating Logic Pro regularly and just updated it last month;
- Apple is patenting new music technologies;
- It doesn’t appear that the company has dismissed any significant portion of its Logic staff;
- They’re hiring audio technicians to support Logic Pro and work on CoreAudio; and
- Logic Pro is the #2 music app in the Mac App Store, behind Garageband.
Think the rumors are true? Or are you more worried about that 2012 Mayan doomsday thing?
Leave a comment and let us know what you think!