Here’s what he has to say about it:
Korg’s MS-20 Mini has quickly become one of the biggest synths of 2013. Maybe even THE biggest synth of 2013.
With its full-figured filters and a semi-modular approach to sound design, the MS-20 has a sound that’s so beefy and unique that it’s earned a very special place in my studio.
Having tinkered with it for the better part of the summer, I figured it was time for another six-pack of Simpler patches. Since the MS-20’s filters are so distinctive, I focused on their sound as the basis for these presets.
The MS-20 instruments in the file are as follows:
- Ring Fizz – Combining the MS20’s ring mod (using a major third interval) with super-resonant filters resulted in this nasty patch. Check out the freaky aliasing in the top octaves.
- Reso Square – I tuned the filters to match the square wave oscillators, which added a light quiver to the overall tone.
- Res Saw Interval – Interval tuning on a pair of sawtooth oscillators, again with the resonance cranked for additional harmonic emphasis.
- Noise Square – Using the MS20’s patch bay, I modulated the filter cutoff with some white noise. Dirty.
- Filter Frenzy – With the filter resonance adding some ‘ghost’ tones, I dropped one of the oscillators by an octave to increase the low-end content. For some serious boom, lower the cutoff frequency on this Simpler patch.
- Detuned Pulse – A pair of pulse waves detuned with the lowpass open and the highpass subtly boosting the lows.
See Prève’s site for details.
If you give the free Korg MS-20 Instruments for Ableton Live a try, leave a comment and let us know what you think of them!