At Musikmesse 2015, Roland today introduced the AIRA System-1m Semi-Modular PLUG-OUT Synthesizer.
The new synth combines Roland’s Plug-Out technology with CV/GATE and Eurorack compatibility.
Roland describes the new synth as ‘modular for the masses.’
The SYSTEM-1m takes the guesswork out of getting into modular. The fully self-contained module can be placed in a rack or on a table and can be powered by a standard AC adaptor. And it can be played from any standard MIDI keyboard or receive MIDI messages from your DAW – just like you’d expect.
But the SYSTEM-1m goes beyond standard synthesizer modules. WIth fully-lit, color coded patch points, you can experiment with reconfiguring its architecture and easily connect to a wide world of available synthesizer modules.
In addition to functioning as a rackmount or tabletop unit, the SYSTEM-1m can be mounted in a standard Eurorack case and can be powered via integrated case power with the included adapter cable. Its versatile synth architecture integrates with existing modular setups – or it can be the heart of a burgeoning modular synthesizer rig.
Here’s Roland’s AIRA Modular intro video:
The SYSTEM-1m is a semi-modular synthesizer with PLUG-OUT capability and a unique design that can be used as a Eurorack module, tabletop synth, or 19” rackmount unit.
In addition to being a powerful standalone instrument, the SYSTEM-1m has external inputs and an array of CV/Gate connections that allow it to be re-patched and to interface with other modular synthesizer systems. According to Roland, the ‘SYSTEM-1m’s CV/Gate connections combined with its ability to load classic Roland PLUG-OUT synth models like the SH-101 and PROMARS give it power and flexibility that is simply unparalleled.’
- Semi-modular synthesizer with PLUG-OUT capability
- 19 color-coded CV/Gate and audio connections with LED lighting
- 84 HP Eurorack, tabletop and 19” rack compatible using AC adaptor or Eurorack power
- Versatile oscillators with six waveforms, Crossmod, Ring Mod, Sync and Color control
- All parameters controlled with high-resolution knobs and sliders with LED indicators
- External input for processing external signals through filter, amp and FX section
- -12 dB and -24 dB filter types with independent high-pass filters
- Integrated tone, crusher, reverb and delay effects
- Tempo syncing for LFO and delay
- 24-bit/96kHz audio and MIDI interface
- AIRA Link for easy connection to MX-1 Mix Performer
- Includes rackmount adapter and braided patch cables
New Sonic Possibilities
While it provides a huge amount of synthesis power on its own, interconnecting the SYSTEM-1m with other modular gear creates a vast range of sonic possibilities. Its oscillator section, filters and envelopes are useful in any modular setup.. According to Roland, the SYSTEM-1m’s combination of CV/Gate modularity, PLUG-OUT, and DAW integration ‘takes things into completely uncharted territory’..
For example, load the SH-101 PLUG-OUT into the SYSTEM-1m and you essentially have a hardware SH-101 with modular capabilities – something that has never existed before.
You can also process external sources through the SH-101’s filters, or load the SH-2 PLUG-OUT and use its oscillator section to drive any number of available Eurorack filters and envelopes.
Pricing and Availability are to be announced. UPDATE: The Roland SYSTEM-1m will be $599 USD MAP and should be available in May or June (depending on the region of the world). More information is available at the Roland AIRA website.