2015 NAMM Show: Waldorf has introduced the nw1 Wavetable Module for Eurorack modular synthesizers.
nw1 is Waldorf’s debut module for the Eurorack format. The nw1 includes an advanced wavetable engine, with independent control of spectral envelope and noisiness – like its Nave software synthesizer.
The nw1 Wavetable Module For Eurorack
Wavetable scanning is cyclic with optional modulation of travel speed, position, spectrum, and more besides. By providing the Waldorf wavetable set from the classic Microwave and Wave synthesizers, nw1 ‘will enrich your Eurorack modular system as a potently powerful sound source’.
The nw1 sound engine also allows for onboard creation of user wavetables via time domain multiple foldover analysis. All you need to do is connect any sound source to the nw1 to transfer audio into a wavetable. Or use the integrated speech synthesizer to translate typed text into wavetables.
Wavetable synthesis is an extremely powerful sound source suited to producing all kinds of vivid metallic hues and digital clangorous tones. It can create organic, bell-like timbres, as well as spectacular-sounding scans through various waveforms with truly ear-opening results. It was almost impossible to create these kinds of sharp-edged, digital sounds back before the invention of wavetable synthesis in the late-Seventies.
- nw 1 front21st century advanced wavetable engine
- Cyclic wavetable scanning with modulatable position and travel speed
- Control of spectral envelope independent of pitch
- Adjustable periodicity up to noisy reproduction
- Classic Waldorf wavetables included
- Integrated speech synthesizer for wavetables
- User-recordable wavetables
- Gate input for triggering wavetable travel and recording
- Main 1V/Oct CV input with trim for pitch control
- 3 additional CV inputs for modulation and realtime wavetable recording
- Audio output
- USB port with galvanic isolation for wavetable transfer and text input
- Eurorack power connector
- +/- 12V, 150mA
- Powder coated metal surface with:
- 10 rotary knobs
- 1 wavetable select/encoder
- 1 2 x 7 segment display
- 6 x 3 position switches
- Width: 32HP (162.6 mm)
For more info, see the Waldorf site.