Marshall today introduced the London – an Android smartphone, designed with audio in mind.
Marshall London audio features include:
- dual headphone jacks, which can be used for queuing with DJ software;
- dual microphones, for recording in stereo;
- dual speakers, which Marshall says make the London ‘the loudest mobile phone on earth; and
- several music apps.
While the Marshall London boasts unique audio features and a premium phone price (about US $600), the phone’s other specifications have been described as ‘pretty low end’.
As for audio latency, which has been the primary show-stopper for Android music software, Marshall says that the London’s Android Lollipop OS provides ‘low latency audio input ensures that music and communication applications provide an amazing realtime experience.”
Since they only mention audio input, it’s unclear yet whether the London will offer the audio performance required for interactive music apps, where low-latency audio input, low-latency audio output, fast audio processing and low-latency touchscreen control are all required.
Marshall London features include:
- Twin Stereo Jacks – Two stereo jacks, allowing you and a friend to listen to music together. Each with an independent volume control.
- Dual Speakers – The loudest mobile phone on Earth? Possibly. Two front facing speakers make London the perfect tool for listening to music without headphones, too.
- Scroll Wheel – The scroll wheel gives you quick access to volume control, with tactile precision to find just the right spot.
- M-Button – At the heart of the London is the M-Button – a dedicated one-click access to your music, whatever the source of it may be. Thanks to this ingenious bit of engineering, you can control your music on top of whatever else you happen to have on your screen.
- The Sound – the Wolfson WM8281 Audio Hub soundcard gives the London a separate processor for music, allowing the phone to play higher resolution files, according to Marshall.
- Global Equalizer – UThe Global Equalizer will apply your selected profile to whichever music player you use. Accessing the equalizer is quick via the M-Button.
- Bluetooth aptX – Bluetooth aptX delivers real-time high quality stereo audio over a Bluetooth connection.
- MODE in ear headphones included – London comes with Marshall Mode in-ear headphones.
- Design – matte black surface is inspired by tolex covering of a Marshall amp & brass details are found on the scroll wheel, M-Button and both stereo jacks.
- LoopStack – Pre-installed on London is the Android app, LoopStack. LoopStack is a 4-channel recorder that allows you to record four tracks independently. LoopStack offers high quality 44KHz 16bit recording and processing.
- DJApp – London will come with a DJ app pre-installed. Connect your headphones and sound system into the two stereo jacks, launch the app and that’s it.
- Microphone – London comes equipped with dual microphones for recording in stereo. Noise reduction means you’ll be able to easily hear your tracks, even if you’re recording outside.
For details specs, see the Marshall Audio site.