Vember Audio has announced that their Surge synthesizer for Mac & Windows is now free and open source:
As of 21th September 2018, Surge stopped being a commerical product and became an open-source project released under the GNU GPL v3 license.
For the existing users this will allow the community to make sure that it remains compatible as plug-in standards and Operating Systems evolve.
For everyone else, this is an exiting new free synth to use, hack, port, improve or do whatever you want with!
It’s available as a free download via the Vember site.
- Synthesis method: Subtractive hybrid
- Each patch contain two ‘scenes’ which are separate instances of the entire synthesis engine (except effects) that can be used for layering or split patches.
- Quick category-based patch-browser
- Future proof, comes as both a 32 & 64-bit VST plugin (Windows PC)
- Universal Binary for both VST and AU (Mac)
- 1010 patches
- 183 wavetables
- 3 oscillators/voice
- 8 versatile oscillator algorithms: Classic, Sine, Wavetable, Window, FM2, FM3, S/H Noise and Audio-input
- The classic oscillator is a morphable pulse/saw/dualsaw oscillator with a sub-oscillator and self-sync.
- The FM2/FM3 oscillators consists of a 1 carrier with 2/3 modulators and various options.
- Most algorithms (except FM2, FM3, Sine and Audio-input) offer up to 16-voice unison at the oscillator level.
- Oscillator FM/ringmodulation
- Most oscillator algorithms (except FM2/FM3) are strictly band-limited yet still cover the entire audible spectrum, delivering a clear punchy yet clean sound.
- Noise generator with variable spectrum.
- Two filter-units with arrangeable in 8 different configurations
- Feedback loop (number of variations inside the parenthesis)
- Available filter-algorithms: LP12 (3), LP24 (3), LP24L (1-4 poles), HP12 (3), HP24 (3), BP (4), Notch (2), Comb (4), S&H
- Filters can self-oscillate (with excitation) and respond amazingly fast to cutoff frequency changes.
- Waveshaper (5 shapes)
- 12 LFO-units available to each voice (6 are running on each voice and 6 are shared for the scene)
- DAHDSR envelope generators on every LFO-unit
- 7 deformable LFO-waveforms + 1 drawable/stepsequencer waveform
- LFO1 allows envelope retriggering when used as stepsequencer
- Extremely fast and flexible modulation routing. Almost every continuous parameter can be modulated.
- 8 effect units arranged as 2 inserts/scene, 2 sends and 2 master effects
- 10 top-quality algorithms: Delay, Reverb, Chorus, Phaser, EQ, Distortion, Conditioner (EQ, stereo-image control & limiter), Rotary speaker, Frequency shifter, Vocoder
System Requirements (Windows PC)
- A computer running Windows 2000/2003/XP (32/64-bit) or newer
- The computer’s CPU must support the SSE instruction set. This is supported on Intel Pentium 3/4/M, Core, Core2 and AMD Athlon XP/64/X2 (and newer) processors.
- 256 MB RAM
- A VST-compatible Host application
- An x64-compatible CPU, OS and Host is required to use the 64-bit version
System Requirements (Mac)
- Requires Mac OS X v.10.3.9 or later.
- Any Intel Mac or a PowerPC Mac with a 1GHz G4/G5 or faster CPU
- 256 MB RAM
- An AU or VST2.4-compatible Host application