BOSS today introduced the SY-200 Synthesizer, a stompbox-style guitar synth pedal that works with any guitar or bass, without a special pickup and supports MIDI I/O via 3.5 mm TRS jacks.
Here’s what they have to say about it:
“Offering a universe of rich, analog-inspired polyphonic tones in a small footprint, the SY-200 makes it simple to weave BOSS’s expressive guitar and bass synth technology into all of your musical journeys. Building on the fun, instant-gratification experience of the acclaimed SY-1, this blue inspiration machine features an expanded sound set, more tone-shaping possibilities, and 128 memories for storing your sonic creations.
Two onboard footswitches provide deep real-time performance control, and you can take things even further with external footswitches, an expression pedal, and MIDI.”
- Advanced BOSS polyphonic guitar synth technology in a streamlined 200 series pedal
- 12 analog-style synth categories with many variations in each (171 sounds total)
- Three adjustable parameters for customizing sounds
- 128 memories for saving and recalling sounds
- Fast sound creation with hands-on controls and large display
- No special pickup required—play rich, dynamic synth tones with any guitar or bass
- Latency-free performance for unrestricted musical expression
- Assignable Memory/CTL 1 switch for memory change, hold, pitch control, and more
- Blend synth and normal guitar sounds with independent level controls
- Parallel send/return loop for easy integration with other pedals on your board
- Selectable modes for globally optimizing the synth engine for guitar or bass
- Supports extended control with up to two external footswitches or an expression pedal
- Full MIDI I/O provided with space-saving 3.5 mm TRS jacks (connection cables available separately)
- Micro USB jack for firmware updates
- Runs on PSA-series AC adaptor or three AA-size batteries
Pricing and Availability
The BOSS SY-200 is available to pre-order now at some retailers, priced around $300 USD.