Isla Instruments announced to today that their new Caladan synthesizer is now available to pre-order.
The ISLA Instruments Caladan is an expandable 8-part analog/digital multi-timbral desktop synthesizer module, featuring multiple synthesizer engines by way of voice cards. They say that it shares much of its DNA with their S2400 desktop sampler and the Futuresonus Parva MPE Synthesizer, released in 2015.
Without any voice cards installed, the Caladan has its own internal digital synthesizer engine, with playback capabilities of Soundfont (.sf2) and SFZ multisample formats, with the added benefit of being able to run a plugin-based synthesizer (VST, LV2, CLAP formats), with up to 32 voices.
Caladan has internal slots for up-to 8 voice cards, accessible via a ‘trap door’ underneath the unit. The voice cards are able to be essentially any type of synthesizer, be that pure analog, digital or a hybrid of both.
The voice card API will be open sourced with development kits made available, allowing other designers and developers to create synthesizer cards for use in the Caladan.
Cards planned include:
- Dual OPL3 4op FM card with analogue filters/vcas (already in development)
- SEM / OB-X card (already in development)
- Analogue Percussion card
- Mini Moog card
- SH-101 card
- String machine card
- TB-303 Card
- MPE Support
- RGB led rings (yes, you can change colours) enabling simultaneous viewing of parameters across different voices/cards per knob.
- USB Host and Device ports, both class compliant for MIDI controllers.
- Standard MIDI DIN In/Out/Thru
- 4 x independent CV & Gate inputs
- 8 x Stereo output busses
- Main & Sub Mix outputs
- High quality steel/aluminum enclosure, comparable in build/looks to the S2400 (and compatible with the same side panels for wood lovers)
- Universal mains powered (100-250v AC)
Here’s an overview of the Caladan:
Here’s a preview of the Caladan hardware prototype in action:
They also shared audio demos from the original Parva voice cards:
Pricing and Availability:
Isla Instruments says that they expect the Caladan to be shipping by July 2024. The Caladan is available to pre-order with an early bird price of $949, for the Caladan Synthesizer base unit with 2 Parva voice cards.