Zeppelin Design Labs has introduced the Noisette, a DIY Optical Theremin kit that they say “generates crazy sounds – from spooky and creepy to atmospheric and spacey”.
The pitch and volume of the Noisette are controlled by two light sensors, while the master volume and wave shape are controlled by two potentiometers.
The Noisette kit was designed with STEM students in mind, as a stepping stone into the world of DIY audio electronics. The 30-page manual has over 100 assembly photographs and comes complete with schematics, circuit descriptions, and a brief history of how the original Theremin was developed.
- 2 Optical sensors to control pitch and volume
- Master volume control knob
- Wave Shape Select: Square, sine, or anything in between
- On-board speaker
- Audio output jack for either headphones or auxiliary line out
- Can be powered with either a 9-volt battery or an external 9-volt power adapter
- Only 18 parts that need to be assembled to the circuit board; only takes a few hours to complete
- Suitable for kids as young as 8 years old, with adult supervision
Pricing and Availability:
The Noisette kit is available now for $39 USD.