There are two models: the all-digital “LinnDrum II”, available from Roger Linn Design and the “LinnDrum II Analog”, which adds four analog synth voices and 32 dual-function voicing knobs, available from Dave Smith Instruments.
Pricing is $1400 for LinnDrum II and $1800 for LinnDrum II Analog.
Features common to both products:
- Operating system is optimized for realtime live performance, with the ability to switch between beats, drop in and out of record on different beats, switch in and out of song mode and much more, all without stopping play.
- Digital voices have nearly the same signal and modulation path–including modulated filters and resonators–as shown on the LinnDrum II Analog panel. Total number of voices is not yet determined.
- 16 standard 1.1 inch square velocity- and pressure-sensitive drum pads, used for sounds, sound mutes, tunings, sequences, track mutes, sequence stutter or step recording.
- Both MPC-style real time and 808-style step recording are provided, and the 16 pads are backlit for visual animation.
- Real-time stereo digital effects on output mix–modulated multi-mode filtering, guitar amp model and bit/sample rate reduction distortion, modulated resonator, compressor, delay, reverb and EQ–with 6 dedicated on/off keys to switch them individually in or out in real time.
- Compact flash slot for data save/load/backup, or for expansion of internal sound storage.
- Internal RAM and flash size is yet to be decided.
- 128 x 64 dot graphic LCD.
- USB port for transferring samples and other files, MIDI messages and audio I/O to and from computer.
- 4 pushbutton soft knobs below the LCD, acting either as soft knobs or soft keys.
- 48 lit buttons for extensive real-time performance control.
- 2 sliders assignable to a large variety of real-time functions.
- HELP key gives descriptive text for any screen, data field, function key or knob.
- Pressing DETAILS key followed by any panel key presents a screen of settings related to the key pressed.
- 4 pairs of stereo outputs (8 digitally-generated audio outputs), with phones output fed from either main stereo out or Aux A Stereo Out.
- Stereo inputs for sampling, audio processing or triggering sounds.
- One MIDI in and two MIDI outs.
- 2 inputs for either foot switches or expression pedals, assignable to a wide variety of functions.
Additional features on Dave’s LinnDrum II Analog:
- Four complex analog voices based on the same Curtis-chip synth voices used in the highly-aclaimed Prophet ’08 and Evolver keyboards.
- Four direct ouputs for the four analog voices.
- 32 dedicated dual-function rotary encoders for voicing the analog and digital voices. Also used for mixer, step sequencing and other functions.