Cockos Reaper may be the world’s most unfortunately named digital audio workstation – but they’ve keep updating it anyway.
Here’s what’s new in Reaper 3.0:
- Automation lanes.
- Nested track folders.
- Multiple tabbed projects.
- Multichannel (greater than stereo) media support, including MOGG.
- FX parameter controls on track and mixer control panels.
- Customize toolbar icons and actions.
- Programmable MIDI joystick/game controller support.
- Inline MIDI editing.
- Edit multiple MIDI items in one editor.
- Sync MIDI editor to arrange view, including looped items.
- Export project MIDI, with tempo map support.
- MIDI event filter.
- Track MIDI controls (manage bank/program changes, sysex, automate CC).
- MIDI hardware timing improvements.
- Full sysex support.
Other Significant New Features And Improvements:
- Create time- or beat-based templates including media.
- Improved REX support.
- Smoother play/stop/seek transitions.
- Soft controller takeover, including FX parameters.
- Create default FX controller assignments that act on the focused plug-in.
- New UI theme, many new graphics features and options.
- More user control of placement/appearance of graphical interface elements.
- Create knobs, envelopes, controller assignments from the last touched FX parameter.
- MIDI control of presets for any plug-in.
- Attach text and image resources to media items, place icons on tracks.
- Global automation override/bypass.
- Hide/show tracks in either arrange or mixer view.
- UAD compatibility improvements.
- All-native graphics rendering engine (better appearance and performance).
- Memory use improvements.
Cockos Reaper 3 is available now for Windows and Windows 64 and Mac OS X Intel and PPC. Cockos offers two licenses, depending on how you use it:
- $225: full commercial license.
- $60: discounted license.
If you’ve used Cockos Reaper, leave a comment with your thoughts!
Cockos Reaper 3.0 details below:
- Improved MP3 seek accuracy.
- 27.97DF timing improvements.
- Read, write, or explode media with any number of audio channels.
- Optionally preserve project PDC when monitoring.
- Seamless media item glue during playback.
- Optional tiny fade to hardware on play/stop/seek (avoid clicks).
- Option to gate (not record near-silence) while saving live audio output.
- More WAV read/write options.
- Customizable pre-roll, metronome improvements.
Arrange View / Editing:
- Optionally draw labels and buttons above media items (track info lane).
- JS support for up to 64 parameters, dynamic UI.
- Filter track visibility by name.
- Optionally display faint peaks in automation lanes.
- Control+drag for fine adjustment of volume handles and envelope points.
- When labels drawn above items, drag the label area to select item+time.
- Dynamic split detection improvements.
- Drag images onto arrange view or track control panels.
- Filter and highlight FX parameters in the envelope window.
- Automap 3.0 support.
- Vastly improved memory performance with many MIDI items in a project.
- Editor timeline can be beats (local), beats (project), time, or synced-to-arrange.
- Switch active MIDI item in multi-item editors by clicking a note, selecting the source item in the MIDI event filter, or clicking the item in the arrange view.
- Quantize/humanize/edit note properties modelessly.
- Increased range for note velocity handle adjustment.
- Improved timing in ReWire slave mode.
- Enhanced CC meta-actions (fine-tune custom actions with a controller).
- Themeable colormaps for note velocity, channel, source item.
- Lock notes in time or pitch.
- Adjust parent item and loop length from MIDI editor.
- No glitch when looping plugins that generate sound or tails.
- Faster redraws for some VSTs.
- No glitch when automating ReaEQ band gain through +0 dB.
- Dragging FX instrument to empty track space inserts new track for the instrument.
- Improved FXP compatibility.
- Support for VSTs that send MIDI out of context.
- Improved DX automation support.
- FX parameter aliasing.
- Many theme options for drawing blend modes, marquee selection.
- Unicode (via UTF-8) filename support.