OS X Lion – the latest super whiz-bang update to Apple’s computer operating system – is out, and you were probably starting to wonder if the apple-philes at Synthtopia were going to have some fawning post telling you how awesome it is, so you could post some clever, slightly bitchy comment.
Well – no such luck.
In fact – as cool as OS X Lion may be, don’t upgrade your music computer to it yet, or kitties will suffer. And puppies, too.
Many major music apps have yet to be updated for OS X Lion. If you upgrade now, there’s a strong likelihood that you’ll run into some serious headaches which will take a lot of time and effort to sort out, leaving pets everywhere without a friend.
How big are the OS X problems for musicians? Here’s the rundown.
Here are the updates we’ve seen:
- Ableton – don’t update or kitties will suffer; Update – 8.2.5 offers compatibility.
- Algoriddim – djay updated with some sweet features.
- Apogee – still testing its products.
- Apple Garage Band – latest version should work.
- Apple Logic Pro – use 9.1.4 or later.
- Avid Pro Tools – more kitties will suffer; “As of this writing Pro Tools 9 and all earlier versions of Pro Tools software are not compatible and will not work with OS X Lion.”
- Cockos Reaper – appear to be only minor compatibility issues, based on forum reports.
- Cakewalk Sonar – keep dreaming.
- Focusrite – still testing their product line.
- iZotope has announced that its software is compatible with OS X Lion.
- Madrona Labs – waiting on DAWs to be updated to test Aalto.
- M-Audio – many devices have been qualified, but see their site for details:
- Axiom Pro 25/49/61 Firmware Updater
- Fast Track
- Fast Track Pro
- Fast Track Ultra
- Fast Track Ultra 8R
- Fast Track USB
- KeyStudio 49i
- M-Audio Black Box
- Micro USB
- MobilePre MKII
- MobilePre USB
- Producer USB
- ProFire 610
- ProFire 2626
- ProKeys Sono 61
- ProKeys Sono 88
- Pro Tools SE 8.0.3 – Patch 003 required
- Transit USB
- MOTU – current versions of MOTU software and hardware drivers appear to be compatible with Lion, although final compatibility testing is still on-going. Digital Performer 7.2.3 is currently not compatible with Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion). Wait for an upcoming release of Digital Performer (7.2.4) before you upgrade. Updates here.
- Native Instruments - kittens will suffer; “refrain from updating to Mac OS X 10.7 for the time being’, Battery 3.2.2 has been qualified, updates here.
- Propellerhead – Reason & Record fully compatible; Recycle not compatible and update is in the works. Info here.
- Focusrite – issues with Saffire PRO 14, Saffire PRO 24, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, Saffire PRO 40, Liquid Saffire 56, Liquid Mix HD, Forté Suite & Scarlett Plug-In Suite.
- Novation – known issues with Automap, Nio.
- Sibelius – 6.2 or higher should work
- Steinberg – they’ve published a compatibility chart; known issues with Cubase, Groove Agent, Halion, Nuendo.
If you’ve got additional information, please leave a comment or link below. And, if you’ve upgraded to OS X Lion, let us know how it’s working!
- PreSonus Studio One and FireWire Interfaces Add Lion Compatibility
- Rob Papen Punch has been updated for Lion
- discoDSP has updated Corona for Lion compatibility
- Steinberg has announced updates for Lion compatibility
Image: by Mourner