Mackie’s got a new mixer out – the Mackie DL1608 16-Channel Digital Live Sound Mixer with iPad Control. That’s pretty awesome – but their acid trip promo video may be even better.
Here’s what they have to say about the video:
See what happens when the sound guy for the Portland band Vanimal is introduced to the new Mackie DL1608. It’s a trip!
There were a lot of questionable iPad music introductions at this year’s NAMM Show, but it looks like the Mackie iPad mixer design does a great job of taking advantage of the capabilities you get with the iPad and pairing it with complementary hardware. Instead of paying for a bajillion faders and switches, you control the mixer with the iPad’s touchscreen. But this also means that you can control the mixer from anywhere in the iPad’s wireless range, making it easy to mix from the audience’s perspective.
The Mackie DL 1608 Mixer with iPad Control
The Mackie DL1608 combines the power of a full-featured digital mixer with the mobility of an iPad. The mixer hardware offers 16 Onyx mic preamps and the performance of 24bit Cirrus Logic AD/DA converters. Seamless integration with iPad means you can mix from anywhere in the venue. From the iPad, you can control not only the mix, but also powerful plug-ins like EQ, dynamics, effects and more. The DL1608 even supports up to 10 iPads, so you can have multiple mix engineers, or so band members can control their mix.
The DL1608 offers plug-ins on every channel, so you won’t have to have additional racks of outboard gear. Effects include 4-band EQ, compression and gate plug-ins. Plus, the mixer includes a full-featured reverb and tap delay, and 31-band graphic EQ and limiter on the main and aux outs.
Other features include:
- Total Snapshot Recall – With Total Snapshot Recall, you can now easily save and access sound check settings for multiple bands, complex song mixes, previous mixes from challenging venues, recall scenes for theater productions and more. You can even pre-set the mixing board and be ready to go the moment you arrive. Mic pre-amp gains are not recallable.
- Channel Presets – Quickly set up a new mix with the DL1608’s Channel Presets. With simple touch screen control, you can immediately assign a factory or your own custom channel preset for kick drum, bass, guitar, keyboard and more to any channel you choose.
- Record Your Mix – The Mackie DL1608 lets you to record your mix from the L/R stereo outputs directly to your iPad, allowing you to upload it to your favorite application and share it with others.
- Integrate Music From Apps – With the Mackie DL1608 you can bring in stereo audio from any iPad application. Best of all, with the pre-assigned iPad channel, you can do it without using up one of the mixers 16 channels.*
*iPad must be docked.
- Channel Images – the DL1608 lets you take a picture of band members with your iPad or choose your own picture to help you easily identify your assigned channels. There’s a choice of included icons to get you up and running.
- Security – The PadLock feature locks down your iPad for permanent installs, while the Kensington lock—the industry standard in protecting technological equipment—secures the mixer to guard it from theft.
Note: The wireless mixing support requires a standard WiFi router, so you have a wireless network for the iPad to join.
Pricing and availability info for the Mackie DL1608 16-Channel Digital Live Sound Mixer with iPad Control are to come. In the meantime, check out the trippy intro video and specs and let us know what you think of this thing!