Avantgarde Sound has released nChord v3 – HeartEater – a ‘harmony modular super algorithm/MIDI control super instrument’ for the Liine Lemur platform on iPad.
The app turns an iPad into a MIDI controller based on music theory, with a library of 7,000 chords and dozens of scales.
Here’s what’s new in nChord v3:
- External MIDI Controller Support: Before you could use any and all of nChord’s included 4 MIDI controllers only internally, namely: ChordBank, NoteBoard, TileBoard and PadBoard. Now with v3, you can:
- Connect your 3rd party MIDI note controller (any pedal board, keyboard controller, drum pad controller, MIDI guitar, etc.) to nChord’s MIDI input.
- Tap the MIDI Learn button function in nChord, and strike the left-most (lowest) key on your controller.
Connect nChord’s MIDI output to any sound generator MIDI input port.
- Those 3 simple steps turn your generic controller’s MIDI notes into in-harmonic-only notes. You can trigger any ChordBank stored chord and/or you can trigger nChord PadBoard’s scale player. Besides its harmony and chord design capabilities, this new feature turns nChord into a realtime harmonic translator.
- It works with any 3rd party controller that sends MIDI notes.
- Full Save and Recall: All ChordBank settings and your factory or custom crafted chords can be saved and recalled for continuing your work.
- Dedicated Chord Velocity Mixer for ChordBank: With velocity master and interpolation controls.
- NoteBoard Sense: Input custom chords in realtime via MIDI into NoteBoard, and save them with the new HotChord function (a realtime chord “grabber”) in ChordBank for your performance via ChordBank itself or via an external MIDI device controlling ChordBank.
Pricing and Availability
nChord v3 – HeartEater is available now for an introductory price of $49 (Regular price: $69). Details on the new version are available at the Avantgardesound site.
If you’ve used nChord, leave a comment and let us know what you think of it.