The good news is that Line 6 has introduced a new version of the MIDI Mobilizer that supports CoreMIDI, making it compatible with apps that support Apple’s MIDI standard.
The bad news is that the MIDI Mobilizer II supports CoreMIDI, making the original Midi Mobilizer, which required custom coding by developers, a technological dead end.
MIDI Mobilizer II Specifications:
- Compatible with iPod touch (3rd and 4th generation), iPhone (iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS), iPad and iPad 2
- Compatible with all MIDI devices with standard 5-pin DIN MIDI connections
- MIDI In and Out signal-active LEDs
- Connects to the 30-pin connector on the bottom of iPod touch, iPhone or iPad
- MIDI In and Out on MIDI Mobilizer via 2.5mm TRS connections
- Includes a pair of 5-foot, 2.5mm-to-5-pin DIN Planet Waves MIDI cables
- Powered by iPod touch, iPhone or iPad — no batteries or power supply required
Making the Line 6 MIDI Mobilizer II CoreMIDI compatible makes a good product even better. This should build momentum for hardware MIDI support on iOS.
For first-adopters that bought the first generation MIDI Mobilizer, though, it’s going to sting a bit to see your device so quickly replaced.
See the Line 6 site for details.