Producer and sound designer Francis Prève has released a free Ableton Live Instrument based on the Dave Smith Instruments Mopho x4.
Here’s what he has to say about it:
Since my previous downloads have been a tad on the smooth side, I decided to explore the grungy, filthy aspects of the X4 – resulting in seven Simpler instruments that really show what it can do.
- Ultra Moopher – Based on one of the factory presets, this one’s great for fat chords and leads.
- SizzleSquare – Starting with a pair of square wave oscillators, I cranked the resonance on this patch, giving it a lot of fizzzzzz.
- Uberswell – I used a really long filter attack and a ton of filter feedback to get this evolving texture.
- Dirty Fiver – One oscillator is set to square, the other’s set to a sawtooth, then detuned a fifth apart. There’s a little bit of sub-oscillator and a touch of filter feedback too.
- Vanilla – Here’s a pair of detuned saws. Good for pads and progressive stuff.
- Bassification – Slightly detuned oscillators with the Curtis filter cutoff lowered for warmth. Useful for subby breakdown drones.
- Dabuzz – Another dirty patch with a bit of white noise thrown in for fun.