Madrona Labs has released Aalto 1.5 – an updated version of its software modular synthesizer for Mac & Windows.
Version 1.5 has some major compatibility improvements for both Windows and Mac users. Performance should be dramatically improved on some Windows systems.
The new version has a new OpenGL-assisted renderer, so graphics are amazingly sharp, at full Retina resolution, in compatible hosts. This change means that using a tiny little Aalto window is now possible, which can really improve workflow on a laptop screen. (Note: Ableton Live does not yet support full-resolution rendering.)
Here’s the list of major changes in Aalto 1.5:
- Fixed an issue that was slowing down Aalto dramatically on some Windows systems.
- Fixed an issue requiring a runtime support pack on some Windows systems.
- Improved latency through the patcher when running at large host buffer sizes.
- Aalto now draws at full resolution on Macintosh Retina Display, in compatible hosts.
- Aalto is now compatible with Soundplane version 1.0 and higher.
- Fix mousewheel direction on Mac OS 10.7 and higher.
- Accelerated drawing to the screen on Mac OS with OpenGL.
- Optimized drawing scheduling to avoid glitches, especially in Logic.
- User and factory presets now share the same location.
- Improved ergonomics of patcher with larger handles and smoother graphics.
- Fixed a drawing problem with bipolar dials.
- Improved drag ergonomics for dials.
Free demo versions are available at the Madrona Labs site.
If you’ve used Aalto, leave a comment and share your thoughts on it!