Bill Putnam Sr, founder of Universal Audio, first introduced the 610 Modular Amplifier preamp in 1958. The 610 is famous among record producers for its harmonic detail, clipping characteristics, and ability to overdrive in a warm, musical fashion.
You might not know the model number of the 610, but you would recognize its signature sound: from the Beach Boys’ Pet Sounds to Johnny Cash’s landmark At Folsom Prison album. Its modern counterpart, the 610-B, has more recently helped create classics by Adele and Cold War Kids.
Universal Audio has captured the character and tone of the 610 with its new UA 610 Tube Preamp and EQ Plug-In Collection for the UAD Powered Plug-Ins platform and for Apollo audio interfaces.
The 610 plug-in collection includes both the classic 610-A model and modern 610-B hardware, and represents the first comprehensive modeling of this preamp design — including its tube and transformer components and unique distortion characteristics.
Key Features: UA 610 Tube Preamp & EQ Collection
- Includes the 610-A and 610-B Tube Preamp and EQ plug-ins, each with their own sonic attributes and feature sets
- Models 610-A and 610-B’s entire electronic path — including tube amplifiers and transformers, complete with circuit non-linearities and dependencies
- Physical analog input impedance switching and front panel control of Gain staging and other preamp parameters via Unison technology for Apollo Twin and Apollo DUO/QUAD owners
Key Features: Unison Technology
- An exclusive analog/digital integration system already built into every Apollo mic preamp
- Enables Apollo mic preamps to sound and behave like the world’s most sought-after tube and solid state preamps — including their all-important impedance, gain stage “sweet spots,” and component-level circuit behaviors
- Continuous, real-time, bi-directional control and interplay between Apollo’s physical hardware and UAD software preamp model
For Apollo Twin and Apollo DUO/QUAD users, the 610 collection works in conjunction UA’s new Unison technology, an exclusive analog/digital integration system that enables continuous, realtime, bi-directional control and interplay between Apollo’s physical hardware and UAD software mic preamp models. With Unison, the Apollo mic preamp’s analog impedance, gain stage sweet spots, and component-level circuit behaviors are adjusted in real time to accurately emulate the target mic preamp model.
Pricing and Availability.
- Available for purchase via Universal Audio’s Online Store for $299*, the UA 610 Tube Preamp and EQ Collection is part of new UAD Software v7.5, which also includes the Brainworx-developed Dangerous BAX EQ Plug-In Collection and additional updates to the UAD-2 platform.
- Universal Audio’s API Vision Channel Strip Plug-In is now also Unison-enabled via a free firmware update in UAD Software v7.5, allowing Apollo users to capture the authentic circuit behaviors of the Vision’s timeless 212L preamp.
*Owners of the UA 610-B Tube Preamp Plug-In can upgrade to the full 610 Tube Preamp and EQ Collection for $149.
One thought on “Universal Audio Revives 601 Tube Preamp As UAD Plug-In”
There’s a typo in the title. It’s a 610.